Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,846

0 members and 2,846 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Citron Suntiger Reticulated python....

Full and happy. Still has not shed. Still slightly underweight. 76 grams empty. She did poop so that is good. Will start working with her Saturday on handling.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-11-2021),Bogertophis (11-14-2021)

Thanks

She is a little healthier but still dealing with being under weight. She has more energy to explore while out. Very calm so far.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-15-2021),Bogertophis (11-14-2021)

Thanks

Yay, she has started to shed. Very happy to see this. It was a couple of layers thick.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-16-2021),Bogertophis (11-16-2021)

Thanks

Some handling time today.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-22-2021),Bogertophis (11-20-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    What a skinny little noodle- very pretty though, & anyway, half the fun is watching her grow.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    What a skinny little noodle- very pretty though, & anyway, half the fun is watching her grow.
    I do enjoy watching them grow. Is hard to believe this little girl will be a giant one day. She is already showing a calm mentality and I am working on tap training. When I hold her she starts out timid and not moving much. After a few min the starts crawling around and exploring some. I have to keep the dogs out of her view when holding her. She is scared of them and you can tell by her behavior. The dogs are trained to keep distance when I have a snake out but is still good to make her feel safe. Like most retic babies she is always welcoming food when offered. Rat pups are a good size meal for her. She is on a 5 day feeding schedule. She enjoys the water and climbing as well. I love it when they explore some.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-22-2021)

Thanks

So I want to start planning now for her adult enclosure. I am thinking about using this as the beginning of the enclosure and reinforce it and put a bottom that is water proof. Will take me a year or 2 to get her room ready with the climbing areas and all that I want to put in it. It will be in a room inside the house. I know she is a couple of years away from needing it but if I build it over time will be less of a hit on the budget. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086C6NXXY...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    So I want to start planning now for her adult enclosure. I am thinking about using this as the beginning of the enclosure and reinforce it and put a bottom that is water proof. Will take me a year or 2 to get her room ready with the climbing areas and all that I want to put in it. It will be in a room inside the house. I know she is a couple of years away from needing it but if I build it over time will be less of a hit on the budget. Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086C6NXXY...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    I'd be worried about the actual strength of that "greenhouse", as it's designed for wind & weather, not the weight & strength of a large pushy constrictor- and the glass is only 1/8"- I wouldn't trust it, personally- at least not without seeing & testing it in person, but probably not even then. A greenhouse is not designed for a soft-bodied & climbing animal occupant- I think a large snake will test the structure in ways (forces) for which it was never designed- I think it's also likely to have sharp edges here & there on which an actively-exploring snake might get cuts. I think a build-from-scratch (by handyman, if needed) would be a safer option for that much money. Or at least, I'd be using that as an example & get some estimates & more ideas about materials to use. Personally, I wouldn't rush into buying that for the purpose you have in mind. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-22-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd be worried about the actual strength of that "greenhouse", as it's designed for wind & weather, not the weight & strength of a large pushy constrictor- and the glass is only 1/8"- I wouldn't trust it, personally- at least not without seeing & testing it in person, but probably not even then. A greenhouse is not designed for a soft-bodied & climbing animal occupant- I think a large snake will test the structure in ways (forces) for which it was never designed- I think it's also likely to have sharp edges here & there on which an actively-exploring snake might get cuts. I think a build-from-scratch (by handyman, if needed) would be a safer option for that much money. Or at least, I'd be using that as an example & get some estimates & more ideas about materials to use. Personally, I wouldn't rush into buying that for the purpose you have in mind. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah... the more I read about it I was like... nope. The power of the animal alone would push through the glass or get cut like you said. I think I would build using mostly wood as material and then waterproof it all and then have a glass wall. I originally did not realize how thing the glass was. I do want the enclosure to be able to be broken down if I need to move again so I don't have an impossible to move enclosure. I have time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Yeah... the more I read about it I was like... nope. The power of the animal alone would push through the glass or get cut like you said. I think I would build using mostly wood as material and then waterproof it all and then have a glass wall. I originally did not realize how thing the glass was. I do want the enclosure to be able to be broken down if I need to move again so I don't have an impossible to move enclosure. I have time.
    Yes, you have time to really design what you want, what will be safe for the animal, & sturdy for many years to come. And able to be moved, for sure.

As I thought about the greenhouse you thought about buying, I just remembered how metal sheds always are too- on the inside, where people can't/won't reach, there's always sharp edges exposed. They don't finish such things because it saves money- if they want to sell their product, the cost has to be competitive with other similar things on the market.

You weren't wrong to "think outside the box" for something you could easily repurpose for a snake home, but you always have to be on guard so you don't overlook design flaws- things that don't matter when products are used as intended, but things that can be very unsafe for your (our) purposes in keeping animals.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-22-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast