Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,128

1 members and 3,127 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Best substrate and cleaning schedule for a BP who pees a lot?

Hi all!
    My ball likes to spend a fair amount of time messing around in his water dish when he's out at night - he tends to hang out for awhile with his head and/or neck at least partially submerged. (I've checked him very thoroughly for mites, and his bin humidity ranges from mid-60s to high 70s, so I don't think there's anything wrong and am thinking he just .... enjoys the water) I wouldn't call it "soaking" or "sitting" in the dish, he just seems to mess around in it a lot. This seems to have the result that he drinks a LOT of water and passes liquid urine quite frequently, especially after eating. One week I cleaned up liquid urine / urates three mornings in a row. Right now he's on a double layer of paper towels so cleaning up is pretty quick and I check him every morning so he's not sitting on anything, but I was wondering if another substrate would let me have to spot clean less? I have coco blocks and hear they'll absorb a lot of the moisture and smell. I do want to be clear that I'm happy to clean frequently if needed - the last thing I want is to have him sitting on urine for any length of time that could be harmful, just want to know if there's a solution that would work out for both of us! (I've been holding off on switching to blocks for now in case he goes on hunger strike this winter - last winter he went off food for 2 months, and I heard changing substrate can snap them out of it.)

Thanks

Re: Best substrate and cleaning schedule for a BP who pees a lot?

I switched to cocoblox from paper towels just because of the smell and I can say first hand it’s the best decision you’ll ever make. Cleaning is 100x easier and when you walk into my snake room there is literally no smell at all even if all of them have made a mess. The only problem I have is the cocoblox are more expensive obviously but you only need to change the substrate out every other month. It’s definitely worth the switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-04-2021),plateOfFlan (11-03-2021)