Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,559

0 members and 2,559 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Anyone else get like this? (Sorta depressing topic)

Yeah it's hard not to anthropomorphize any animal. Reptile or bird or mammal. Reptiles might not express things like we do like they can't cry like a human or even whine like a dog when something hurts, but even so if you can read their cues they'll tell you they're injured or are doing well or even that they're not afraid to be held.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2021),Erie_herps (11-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    I think for snakes it's their thought of "this animal isn't going to hurt me instantly" and they stop struggling to conserve energy. I don't think they have emotions but I think they understand enough to known when and when not to struggle (which spends energy they can't always afford to lose). But just because they get nothing out of it doesn't mean we don't. After helping an animal we do feel better even if that animal doesn't care (in the case of reptiles).
    I like to think in at least some instances they feel physical relief. Like, surely having stuck shed removed has to feel good no? Whether or not they associated that relief with the person that did it for them remains to be seen but, snakes have been shown to be able to recognize people (usually in a "giver of food" sense but it's something) so it stands to reason that they have the potential to put two and two together that the large weird biped has helped them in other ways too.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2021),Erie_herps (11-04-2021),plateOfFlan (11-05-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Snakes come into this world with instincts that initially work against them being pets- that is, everything is either predator or prey, or maybe "neither" & just something to be ignored. And they react accordingly when handled, showing fear & self-defense. But just as in nature, where they must learn their way around & find hiding places to survive heat, cold & predation, we're just another thing they learn to deal with in their instinctive efforts to stay safe, keep eating & hopefully to reproduce.

We'll never know precisely what they think of us, & that's okay- humans have been reading into the minds of dogs, cats & horses for centuries, & the more time goes on, the more we find out that yes, many animals have more brains & awareness than we previously thought. Horses & dogs, for example, are pretty good at reading human facial expressions, even as we're busy reading theirs.

The charge often leveled at snake intelligence often has to do with brain size, but that's not something with a direct correlation, because snakes have a much simpler body to control (no limbs, etc), & some brains are far more efficient than others- it's not directly the result of size alone. Snakes clearly can remember- otherwise I'd have to re-tame my snakes every time I make contact...right? But even when I don't handle some snakes for a long while, they don't forget they're safe with me- they still obviously know & accept me- they don't revert to "wild".

The big objection to "anthropomorphism" by the scientific community has mellowed in recent years, as we've learned more about what some animals are capable of. I also think that it's partly due to the way humans generally put themselves on a pedestal- and while it's true that we can do many things that animals so far cannot, we're also the most destructive force on the planet. No members of the animal kingdom can detonate atomic bombs & none of them mess up the environment the way we do. (How "smart" is that?) So we should keep ourselves in perspective, don't you think?

And that's why I give snakes the "benefit of the doubt". It feels right to me to keep an open mind rather than trying to say they absolutely can't or don't have certain abilities that we can't prove. They often appear to do goofy things, but if we had the same limits (poor eyesight, deaf & no limbs) how smart would we look? And how long would we last?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-03-2021 at 08:54 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (11-04-2021),plateOfFlan (11-05-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Snakes come into this world with instincts that initially work against them being pets- that is, everything is either predator or prey, or maybe "neither" & just something to be ignored. And they react accordingly when handled, showing fear & self-defense. But just as in nature, where they must learn their way around & find hiding places to survive heat, cold & predation, we're just another thing they learn to deal with in their instinctive efforts to stay safe, keep eating & hopefully to reproduce.

We'll never know precisely what they think of us, & that's okay- humans have been reading into the minds of dogs, cats & horses for centuries, & the more time goes on, the more we find out that yes, many animals have more brains & awareness than we previously thought. Horses & dogs, for example, are pretty good at reading human facial expressions, even as we're busy reading theirs.

The charge often leveled at snake intelligence often has to do with brain size, but that's not something with a direct correlation, because snakes have a much simpler body to control (no limbs, etc), & some brains are far more efficient than others- it's not directly the result of size alone. Snakes clearly can remember- otherwise I'd have to re-tame my snakes every time I make contact...right? But even when I don't handle some snakes for a long while, they don't forget they're safe with me- they still obviously know & accept me- they don't revert to "wild".

The big objection to "anthropomorphism" by the scientific community has mellowed in recent years, as we've learned more about what some animals are capable of. I also think that it's partly due to the way humans generally put themselves on a pedestal- and while it's true that we can do many things that animals so far cannot, we're also the most destructive force on the planet. No members of the animal kingdom can detonate atomic bombs & none of them mess up the environment the way we do. (How "smart" is that?) So we should keep ourselves in perspective, don't you think?

And that's why I give snakes the "benefit of the doubt". It feels right to me to keep an open mind rather than trying to say they absolutely can't or don't have certain abilities that we can't prove. They often appear to do goofy things, but if we had the same limits (poor eyesight, deaf & no limbs) how smart would we look? And how long would we last?
    I understand that exactly. It's just like the saying goes "if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,:cens0r:it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." The fish isn't stupid it's just built different for different things. So even if our scaly friends can't talk or show emotions like we do, it doesn't make them stupid. Just built different. They obviously can remember, we just don't know how that translates to our version of intelligence.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I think I'm also a "glass-half-full" type- I don't dwell on what snakes cannot do- I couldn't care less if they can't do trigonometry, lol- I appreciate all that they CAN do- I enjoy having them around for "who they are". And it's sorta sneaky, but I also appreciate the fact that whenever I try to convey to a snake I'm holding that they're "safe" with me, I feel the same positive vibes myself. Like when you're holding other pets, they now know that lowers your blood pressure, so if you're comfortable with snakes, obviously that's the same thing that's going on. Pets are good for people, so the least we can do is be good for them too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (11-04-2021)

Thanks

Sometimes when I have 20 tubs to clean after work I feel like that. And get the same feeling once I start and start handling all the animals and see their growth and health. It never gets old. So I can totally relate in that aspect. As for the animals passing that can be very difficult. I just try to keep in mind that under my care my animals have had the best opportunity for a great life. Last year my 16 yo dog passed and it was very difficult. But I sat back and I thought that at least while he was with me I gave him the best life that I could have. Hopefully that helps you also.

Sean

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-04-2021),Erie_herps (11-04-2021)

Thanks

Ah, I didn't mean to seem like I was down on exotics and their abilities. Just the moments when that gulf in understanding becomes apparent are the most frustrating to me, as a keeper. When you have a bad handling session or they get scared or upset by something you're doing, and you can't make them understand. But just like Neko_snake was saying, there's also moments when you realize this undomesticated animal, with most of its wild instincts still intact, decides to trust you, it's really awesome. Like the other night I offered a rat to my guy, knowing he was early in shed and might not take it. He had a lengthy will-he-won't-he of stalking and retreating, I dropped the rat and left him to it, and he apparently got frustrated and dragged it all over the enclosure getting quite avant-garde with rat juices all over everything, then stuffed himself behind some decorations and sulked. I took everything out, cleaned it, tossed the rat, and when I went to put him back in, he looked at his tank and doubled back up my arm and climbed into my sweatshirt pocket instead (I often carry him around in there but he's never gotten in on his own before). After an apparently frustrating night, given the choice of going back to his familiar enclosure or hanging out with me awhile, he picked the latter. Little things like that just make you go "this is amazing" despite some of the frustrations.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-05-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12