Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,042

3 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I sure hope you're able to get a regular supply of the right size- you mentioned, I think, that this was the only one they had? If "push comes to shove", since you know he wants live, you might consider trying a very young baby rat (eyes closed, a little fur- not too big) instead, IF they don't have mice that will work. Fingers crossed for you!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-03-2021)

Thanks

Re: Seriously underweight baby BP won’t eat

I’m going to stop there while I’m out today, actually, and ask about that, and see what’s usual for them to have on hand, because I want to make sure I know ahead of time that im going to be all set on feeding days! If he’s going to be eating live prey on a regular basis (and I won’t even be considering trying to switch him to f/t until he’s grown a lot, maybe not at all, depends on how good of an eater he turns out to be,) then im going to see if I can find someone locally who breeds their own feeders, rather than continue to get them from the pet store.

I feel like I might be looking too far ahead, as he’s only taken the one mouse, and we’re far from out of the woods yet my hope is that now that he’s eaten on his own once, he’ll develop an appetite for regular feedings! My worry is that he’ll always be picky and it’ll be a struggle to get him to take meals… but either way, he is my boy and I will do my very best to give him what he needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bellybelly For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-03-2021),AutumnVanilla (11-03-2021),Bogertophis (11-03-2021)

Thanks

Just a little update… when I went to check in this morning before work, I actually caught Pepper out of his hide and chilling on top of his log! I know he moves around because I find pee in all areas of his tank, but it’s still nice to see he has some energy and is getting out and about

He’ll be getting another fuzzy tomorrow night, I made sure the pet store has one on hand for me!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bellybelly For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-04-2021),Bogertophis (11-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I’m glad he ate for you. They ALL eat eventually. I probably wouldn’t have resorted to live feeding so soon if he was previously eating f/t but the most important thing is that he’s eating. I’m curious, how much does a live fuzzy mouse cost these days?
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    Be careful about feeding him too much too soon. Try to stick to 5 days between meals (which I do think tomorrow night is? But just want to make sure)

I know you want to get him started and pumped full of nutrients. And yes now that he had that bit of food he may be cruising and looking for more.... But it can actually be detrimental. After not eating for so long and becoming so emaciated, if he eats too much too soon his body may not be able to properly absorb the meals right away and too much food can actually give him diarrhea, which can lead to more dehydration. I like to keep mine on smaller meals for at least a couple to make sure they're digesting it well and get some body mass back before trying to move them onto the normal size meals.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 11-04-2021 at 01:39 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bellybelly (11-04-2021),Bogertophis (11-04-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I’m glad he ate for you. They ALL eat eventually. I probably wouldn’t have resorted to live feeding so soon if he was previously eating f/t but the most important thing is that he’s eating. I’m curious, how much does a live fuzzy mouse cost these days?
    They’re like $1.5 per fuzzy at my local reptile shop here in Cali

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Be careful about feeding him too much too soon. Try to stick to 5 days between meals (which I do think tomorrow night is? But just want to make sure)

I know you want to get him started and pumped full of nutrients. And yes now that he had that bit of food he may be cruising and looking for more.... But it can actually be detrimental. After not eating for so long and becoming so emaciated, if he eats too much too soon his body may not be able to properly absorb the meals right away and too much food can actually give him diarrhea, which can lead to more dehydration. I like to keep mine on smaller meals for at least a couple to make sure they're digesting it well and get some body mass back before trying to move them onto the normal size meals.
    Yeah, every 5 days is the plan right now! I know that even if he is hungry and ready to eat, it might be a while before he can really handle appropriate sized prey. Little steps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I honestly wasn’t even paying attention at the time because I was so stressed out but yeah I think it was around 2 bucks. They probably could have charged me ten times that much and I wouldn’t have even noticed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bellybelly View Post
    Yeah, every 5 days is the plan right now! I know that even if he is hungry and ready to eat, it might be a while before he can really handle appropriate sized prey. Little steps

Actually, now that I think about it, he actually ate the thing sometime Tuesday afternoon, so Friday is going to be a little too early. I think Sunday night will be better, which is feeding day for my other guy too

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bellybelly For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-05-2021),AutumnVanilla (11-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bellybelly View Post
    Actually, now that I think about it, he actually ate the thing sometime Tuesday afternoon, so Friday is going to be a little too early. I think Sunday night will be better, which is feeding day for my other guy too

Yes, by all means, don't rush it. His digestion will be slow, as will his weight gain. Be very patient.

If the pet store is holding fuzzies for you, be sure to let them know your revised schedule! And double-check theirs. In general, it would be better if you got your fuzzies before the weekend, since they probably sell more on weekends & you don't want them to run out- but I'm not suggesting you feed your snake too soon, just saying.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast