Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,004

0 members and 3,004 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best morph calculator

Hello, I'm about to start my reproduction season for my male Enchi Killerbee Pinstripe and female Lemon Blast het clown. Unfortunately when I tried to predict the outcome, provided that I will be lucky having eggs, I found different results based on the morph calculator I used (morph market and genetic wizard world of ball python). According to your experience could you indicate the most reliable one or if there is another even better? Any suggestion will be welcomed!! Thanks

Thanks

Re: Best morph calculator

Morphmarket calculator is the best in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (11-03-2021),nikkubus (11-03-2021),sp0420 (10-31-2021)

Thanks

Definitely a second vote here for the morphmarket calculator.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (11-03-2021),nikkubus (11-03-2021)

Thanks
    I agree, the MorphMarket calculator is the best in my opinion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (11-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I never used MM, but I know the world of ball pythons one doesn't handle certain things well and gives incorrect odds. I always calculate manually but I went ahead and tested out MM, and it seems to work for everything except Banana/CG that I have tried (works for banana x normal, but banana x banana is very dependent on whether your male is male maker or female maker what the results will be).
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

paulh (11-03-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    IMO, of the two, the Morphmarket calculator is the better.

I did some experimentation with the OP's five gene pair problem. Both calculators gave the right answer to the problem. The major difference was that the Morphmarket calculator gave both genotypes and morph names, while the WOBP calculator only gave morph names. Other differences were relatively trivial.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (11-03-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    IMO, of the two, the Morphmarket calculator is the better.

I did some experimentation with the OP's five gene pair problem. Both calculators gave the right answer to the problem. The major difference was that the Morphmarket calculator gave both genotypes and morph names, while the WOBP calculator only gave morph names. Other differences were relatively trivial.
    WOBP calculator has a hard time calculating hets too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (11-03-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    WOBP calculator has a hard time calculating hets too
    I went to WOBP and tried several matings.

Pinstripe x pinstripe. Both had a pinstripe mutant gene paired with a normal gene. IWOBP results were 1/4 normal, 1/4 pinstripe, and 1/2 pinstripe. The correct result is 1/4 normal (2 normal genes), 1/4 pinstripe (2 pinstripe genes), and 1/2 pinstripe (pinstripe mutant gene and normal gene).

I also tried a het albino x het albino mating. Results were 1/4 normal, 1/2 het albino and 1/4 albino. IMO, the correct results should have been 1/4 normal (2 normal genes), 1/2 het albino(normal-looking, albino mutant gene and normal gene) and 1/4 albino (2 albino genes).

IMO, there was no difficulty calculating hets. But there was considerable difficulty expressing the results. There was also the continuing belief that a heterozygous snake must look normal, which is false.

WOBP does not express heterozygote probabilities (66% probability het albino, 33% probability homozygous pinstripe). But that is okay. Doing it or not is a matter of choice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    I went to WOBP and tried several matings.

Pinstripe x pinstripe. Both had a pinstripe mutant gene paired with a normal gene. IWOBP results were 1/4 normal, 1/4 pinstripe, and 1/2 pinstripe. The correct result is 1/4 normal (2 normal genes), 1/4 pinstripe (2 pinstripe genes), and 1/2 pinstripe (pinstripe mutant gene and normal gene).

I also tried a het albino x het albino mating. Results were 1/4 normal, 1/2 het albino and 1/4 albino. IMO, the correct results should have been 1/4 normal (2 normal genes), 1/2 het albino(normal-looking, albino mutant gene and normal gene) and 1/4 albino (2 albino genes).

IMO, there was no difficulty calculating hets. But there was considerable difficulty expressing the results. There was also the continuing belief that a heterozygous snake must look normal, which is false.

WOBP does not express heterozygote probabilities (66% probability het albino, 33% probability homozygous pinstripe). But that is okay. Doing it or not is a matter of choice.
    I'm a bit confused by what you are saying. Top example should be 1/4 super pinstripe, which can be hard to ID but does look different, and the way you typed it here both sound exactly the same.

With albino example, those look exactly the same to me too. I guess what you are frustrated with is that it doesn't tell you which are phenotype? It's pretty much understood (with a few exceptions) when someone says "het X" it means its a visual normal or different morph, while being het for a recessive. Nobody calls a snake with one wild type one Pastel gene "het Pastel", it's just referred to as Pastel. The only exception I really see is acts-like-supers, I have seen people refer to Candino as het Albino het Candy, or in the case of incomplete dominants that are in the same complex and hard to tell apart like Asphalt/Yellowbelly, you might call the OS of a Freeway a "het Freeway" to express it's one or the other YB-complex morphs but you don't know which.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Snow Balls (11-04-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I'm a bit confused by what you are saying. Top example should be 1/4 super pinstripe, which can be hard to ID but does look different, and the way you typed it here both sound exactly the same.
    This is where I got confused with MM calculator. I was under the impression the pin was a dominant gene and there wasn't a super form?

Is this not correct?
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast