Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,909

3 members and 2,906 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: 3x2x2 Modification for Antaresia

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I hope it doesn't feel like I'm too critical of your efforts- I really just want to keep you out of trouble with your new tiny snake, by giving you the benefit of my years of experience w/ tiny s.

BTW, I've never used "tubs" to house snakes. But if there's too much humidity- you need more air-holes.
    Like anyone, I can get defensive when someone criticizes my efforts. But unlike some, I can step back and ask myself, "Is she right though?" So fire away. I asked for it.
    So far I've been able to regulate the humidity by limiting the amount of water I put in there. If I have to drill holes, I'll be careful.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-01-2022),Bogertophis (02-12-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I'll give a sponge a try and I'll keep my eye out for a small water dish, maybe something with a suction cup on it so the snake won't knock it over.
    & again, don't worry with a flat-bottom bowl- that's really all you need. (Besides, I don't think you'll FIND one with a suction cup on the bottom- )

Also, if you're putting the bowl inside that metal thing with the sponge, it won't even matter if it spills.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-12-2022 at 03:47 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-01-2022),Homebody (02-12-2022)

Thanks

Like anyone, I can get defensive when someone criticizes my efforts. But unlike some, I can step back and ask myself, "Is she right though?" So fire away. I asked for it.
    So far I've been able to regulate the humidity by limiting the amount of water I put in there. If I have to drill holes, I'll be careful.
    Criticizing is never what I'm about (& it's actually fun to see what other ideas you came up with) but keeping your new little snake out of dangerous situations is. Until you've kept them for a while, they're going to think of many things that you never did, & some of those "things" can potentially hurt them. I'm always "thinking outside the box" too- that's why I like roaming thru home improvement-hardware stores & thrift stores. There's so many ways to do things.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-12-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Frying pan hole: the other option is to permanently glue something inside the hole.
    Great idea! I'll try filling it with silicone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-12-2022)

Thanks

Great idea! I'll try filling it with silicone.
    I've done the same thing with some nice driftwood that had a "dangerous" hole- Actually, I glued a small cork into it (it matched the wood color) but just the silicone will work too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-01-2022)

Thanks
    Speaking of "snake toys", one thing I've never tried (yet!) is giving a "Pet Hol-EE Roller dog toy" to a small snake (one that won't get anywhere NEAR stuck in the equal-sized openings) as something to climb in- it might be fun to suspend it also.

Note-they come in various sizes. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...roller-dog-toy

BPs have large heads & wider bodies, so I've never suggested it here before- but for small pythons like Antaresia or rat snakes of all kinds, it would be fine- good exercise, in fact.

BTW, I didn't think this up- I've heard from a friend about others giving these to their small snakes, & it sounds like a fun idea for them. You just have to remember to remove it (give it to a dog or cat to play with) when the snake begins to out-grow it. Cage furnishings for snakes are mostly never "permanent" anyway- just like WE don't keep the same furniture for life either.

Like a jungle gym for snakes...some kinds have more "privacy" too: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...otball-dog-toy

BTW, I'd suggest ONLY buying these in person- to double check the size of the HOLES compared to the width of your snake (with a meal on board)- not so much the overall size of the ball, but just to ensure your snake fits EASILY thru the holes. I'd guess only the largest ones would be suitable. Goes without saying that these are only for the snake to climb in- no bouncing or rolling the snake!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-12-2022 at 07:20 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-12-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I don't think your set up is bad but Boger makes some really good points and she's been keeping these smaller pythons way longer than I have, so take that good advice and run with it. I will say with the roller toys, I actually picked one of these up from my local Petsmart and my guy spends a ton of time on it. Gives you some more climbing room without adding something giant to the enclosure. The only downside about them is if you wanted to do a more naturalistic enclosure, these stick out like a sore thumb. For me I don't mind I just like the enrichment option for the snake, but just an obvious thing to keep in mind.

Personally aside from what Boger mentioned, I'd like to see some more climbing surfaces in there. You do have several options but I promise if you add more branches the snake WILL use them. I thought at first that I had too much but the more I watch our spotted python the more I noticed how much he uses every climbing surface in the enclosure.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 02-14-2022 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Correcting my poor spelling :)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-01-2022),Bogertophis (02-14-2022),Homebody (02-14-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Personally aside from what Boger mentioned, I'd like to see some more climbing surfaces in there. You do have several options but I promise if you add more branches the snake WILL use them. I thought at first that I had too much but the more I watch our spotted python the more I noticed how much he uses every climbing surface in the enclosure.
    I'll keep an eye out for a thin branch to run from the left rear bottom corner to the right front top corner. I need to be careful with climbing surfaces on the left of the enclosure. I don't want anything that will allow him to get too close to the RHP, and the RHP covers a full third of the terrarium.
    Last edited by Homebody; 02-14-2022 at 11:17 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-14-2022),Bogertophis (02-14-2022)

Thanks
    I'm glad Hugsplox mentioned that you might want to add more climbing opportunities- I thought so too, but I figured your new snake might be a bit shy at first anyway- but yes, they seem to LOVE natural branches- straight things (like wooden dowels) not so much. You can add things -it doesn't all have to be there right from day one. I think some snakes (especially these & also rat snakes) enjoy "new furniture" to explore & climb on, as opposed to being upset by "changes".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-14-2022 at 02:51 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-01-2022),Homebody (02-14-2022)

Thanks

4 days until my new arrival. For your review and comment, I've attached pictures and a brief description of my current enclosure furnishings.

Warm side hide=black plastic bowl 7" in diameter x 2" deep w/slate cover; Cool side sky hide=same bowl secured to the ceiling; white water bowl 8.5" in diameter x 3" deep w/Golum statuette; 3 climbing branches coated in polyurethane (2 cross in the center and one runs along the back wall); 1 wire tunnel covered in fake foliage; 1 green paper tunnel with leaf stencil; 1 fake flower branch to hold the RHP thermostat probe; all the above on repticarpet.

Two circular black plastic hides measuring 7" in diameter x 2" high; one water bowl of the same description with porous stone; one Accurite thermometer/hydrometer; on 3" of shredded paper substrate. Thank you for your time and consideration.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2022)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast