Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

4 members and 3,274 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Babies first meal

I had a clutch of 8 eggs hatch 25 days ago. They shed about 15 days ago. 4 have been eating great and have had 3 meals. However 3 of them have not eaten any meals at all. They look a bit skinny, but they have lost almost no weight since hatching. One ate one meal and now isn’t taking another. Any tips on what I can do. I offer live hopper mice every couple of days. I got a couple them eating by sticking them in a small dark container with the mouse. It’s not working for the other babies though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Babies first meal

You’re most likely offering to frequently and stressing them out. Leave them for a week since last attempt and try again. You can also offer fuzzy rats, I have some who won’t eat live hopers but will take live fuzzy rats. You have them in racks I assume? Do you have any hides in your tubs?

Last edited by Snow Balls; 10-25-2021 at 09:46 PM.
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-25-2021),ReptileRant (10-25-2021)

Thanks

Re: Babies first meal

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    You’re most likely offering to frequently and stressing them out. Leave them for a week since last attempt and try again. You can also offer fuzzy rats, I have some who won’t eat live hopers but will take live fuzzy rats. You have them in racks I assume? Do you have any hides in your tubs?

That is possible, I have been offering every 5 days or so. I offered fuzzy rats once with no luck. I do have them in a rack and test they each have a cave.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Speaking of stress, I wouldn't be weighing snakes that aren't eating either. Yeah, I know you'd love to monitor their weight loss, but if it only increases because you're handling them & they won't eat, where's the benefit?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ReptileRant (10-25-2021)

Thanks

Re: Babies first meal

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Speaking of stress, I wouldn't be weighing snakes that aren't eating either. Yeah, I know you'd love to monitor their weight loss, but if it only increases because you're handling them & they won't eat, where's the benefit?
    I definitely agree. I weighed them once the day they hatched and once last week. Otherwise I try to leave their bins closed.

Thanks

Babies first meal

I would leave them alone completely for the week (I wouldn’t even check their water) and try to offer again, and like Boger said don’t weight them either. I had a hatchling this year refuse food for 8 weeks and just when I was about to assist feed she finally took a rat fuzzy. Sometimes all they need to do is starve, they’re weird animals. I have confidence if you just leave them alone they will all eat eventually. Stay calm and don’t panic

Last edited by Snow Balls; 10-25-2021 at 10:47 PM.
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (10-26-2021),Bogertophis (10-25-2021),ReptileRant (10-28-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I think it's more than just giving time for their hunger to kick in- I think that stress interferes with their instincts & ability to focus on food. Some stress easier than others (just like us, haha!), & many things can cause them stress: they may initially see us as big scary predators lurking about, so handling them is even worse. I quite sure I wouldn't like to be picked up by a giant that's 200+ times bigger than me, & if I were, I sure wouldn't be thinking "what's for lunch?"- I'd be thinking it was ME!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (10-26-2021),ReptileRant (10-28-2021),Snow Balls (10-26-2021)