Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,748

1 members and 2,747 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Highway Batman

Thanks

Highway Batman

I literally don't know anyone who would either care about bp genetics enough or understand irl so thought I'd post here. Just looking for opinions or pros and cons on the best way to proceed with this project (or not to proceed lol).
    Im currently raising an ivory and a highway female to focus specifically on producing highways. Currently they're pushing 800 grams and are about 16 months. However lately I've been considering putting my spotnose leopard clown to them to make hets then raise the hets and breed them in hopes of a highway clown.
    Here's my dilemma I only have one Ivory and one highway and there are a lot of things that need to go right for me to even have the slightest possibility of making this work.
    First option: Pair the batman to both. But they both need to go for me and I need to hit a male YB het. Then I need to raise the hets and breed them to hopefully prove out the hets as either yb or gravel from the highway.
    Second option: continue on the highway project by itself and produce more Ivory and highways to then start my decade long batman highway project in five years lol.
    Kind of leaning towards the clown pairing. YB hets from the Ivory would be valuable to me in the long run. Gravel or yb hets from the highway would kind of suck. Would eventually have to prove them out with a yb to ID them. But man the idea of a highway batman or a highway spotnose clown has me really wanting to go for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    This is going to take me some time thinking and working through things so I thought I would ask a few questions to give you the best answer.

Budget/Space for new things?
    How much of a hurry you are in?
    Experience level with breeding specifically?
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (10-23-2021)

Thanks

Re: Highway Batman

Take your time any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I've been really interested in chaing direction.

I have a decent budget but not trying too go crazy. I do have enough to purchase a few other animals and or pastel highway male that I was originally planning to put to those girls when they're ready.

I have plenty of space for new animals and have invested in quality equipment racks, hatchling, racks, incubator thermostats etc.I use an ars 5040 with a herp Stat 2 and will be purchasing a second rack in the spring/summer when the hatchlings I have now out grow their racks.

I'm in no hurry just something I thought would be long term and enjoyable to produce a highway clown. That's why I was thinking of making hets and using them to prove out the clutch from the highway by hopefully hitting highway by using a yb het hopefully produced by the Ivory I own. (Lots of variables here though)

Not that experienced currently just a hobby turned passion and just want to make unique animals for myself. this is my second year breeding out my collection and have had 3 successful clutches. I started with 5 full grown females several hatchling females and two males then bought a few and made a few hets over the last two years. Invested in a batman to really breed out some stock for my collection over the next several years. I have some seriously nice clown females and hets that are coming close to being size or are at 1500+ grams this year. Waiting until next year to breed them though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (10-23-2021)

Thanks
    This is the route I think I would go:

21-22 Breeding Season
    Batman to Ivory = All with be Yellow Belly het Clown at least. Best case is Spotnose Leopard Yellow Belly het Clown -> holdback any females you want to pair back to dad, that gen can produce Batmans *you can holdback a male from this clutch instead of the other as a last resort if the other female doesn't go.

Batman to Highway = All will be Gravel/or/Yellowbelly het Clown. Best case is Spotnose Leopard Gravel/or/Yellow Belly het Clown -> holdback best male, holdback any females you want to go back to dad.

*You can holdback just one female or multiples depending how fast you want to hit Batman. If you really, really want to hit it when the female(s) are mature that first season, I'd keep at least 3.

Next Gen Highway Project
    Asphalt/or/Yellowbelly Male to mom = You have a shot to produce Highway no matter what the male proves out, but if he proves out Gravel, you will get Super Gravels, if he proves out Yellow Belly you will get Ivories. Highway odds are 1/4 either way. Super Gravel/or/Yellowbelly odds are also 1/4. 1/2 will be Gravel/or/Yellow Belly. Leftovers from this clutch are going to be tougher to sell if you don't get a Spotnose Leo Gravel/or/YB het Clown.

Next Gen Batman Project
    Batman to daughters = 1/2 have at least Clown. 1/8 chance for Batman. Most stuff from this clutch should sell well that you don't want to keep because Leo and Spotnose het Clowns are pretty high demand and valuable right now.

Hope that makes sense? If not or if you have more questions lmk and I'm happy to help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (10-25-2021)

Thanks

Sorry took a min to process that lol. Definitely the way I'm going with the Ivory. I like the idea of making hets with the highway clutch and breeding back to the mom and making pos hets while proving out the genetics of the male. (If I followed that correctly lol) didn't even think of that. Then instead of pairing the batman back to her het/pos hets I may try the yb het male back to the hets and pos hets to try to make a batman highway (depending on what the yb has in him) or clown highway while also proving out their genetics. By that time I'll probably have produced a yb clown to use that way everyone will be 100% het. Not in a hurry to produce more batmans immediately have three visual clowns that are 700-800 grams that he is going to also a super enchi clown butter at 1500 grams he will go to next year. Also a banana clown and a fire fly clown but they're hatchlings so that'll be a minute.

Thanks
    I feel like you are getting confused somewhere because everything should be 100% het the way I listed it.

Batman x Ivory/Highway = all are 100% het Clown

Batman x any of his female offspring = 50% will be visual Clown and the rest will be 100% het Clown

If you bred siblings, then you would get 66% het Clowns, but I don't see a great reason to do that when breeding a male offspring back to the Highway will give you Highways.

If you are aiming for Clown Highways/Batmans, I'd do things slightly different as far as what I held back, keeping some spare males from the Highway's clutch in case the first didn't prove out Gravel. Otherwise you have to repeat the pairing with the Batman x Highway again and grow another up to try again, and you still might miss.

Thanks

Yes I guess I was confused about the yb male to mom (highway) that would produce 50% hets no? I thought that's what you meant.

I see where you're going and I belive you're spot on to make batmans quick but I have some crazy visual females he will go to over the next few seasons and hopefully start putting other genetics into batmans or spotnose clowns. So not too much of a hurry or need to hit batmans with the highway. Would love to be able to produce highy/ivorys still and possibly get clown in there at the same time. I started the highway project idea to get something going other then clowns but that didn't last long lol. Ivory and Leo mix so well and the idea of producing a highway clown is really cool to me.

You did get me thinking though. What do you think about this? (Leaving spotnose and Leo out just to type less lol)

Batman x ivory = yb 100% het, will hold all females and best male

Highway x batman = yb/gravel 100% het, will hold all females

At the same time I can continue to produce 100% hets from the batman x highway while I work on raising the first batch of hets.

Then use the yb 100% male from the Ivory clutch to prove out the genetics of the 100% het females from the highway clutch. I think the odds of an ivory or highway from this are like 20% and a ivory or highway clown are like 5%. Sure I may not hit and the 66% hets would be byproduct but I can produce highway and Ivory from this and also eventually will hit clown in either highway or ivory by just keeping the hets breeding. Once I ID the clutch genetics it should be straight forward to up the highway and Ivory %

Thanks
    It's not a bad idea in terms of proving out those females, I just wouldn't be trying to use the OS from those 2nd gen clutches to purposely hit Clown unless they are visual Clown. I would want to prove out at least one male as Gravel though (and have better chance for Super Gravel vs Ivory), so I'd hold back the male from the other clutch. If he proves out YB anyway, you are still in the position as if he were from the Ivory clutch, but you have a 50/50 shot he might be Gravel.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

sp0420 (10-28-2021)