Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 975

2 members and 973 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 72,048
Threads: 246,066
Posts: 2,549,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luk
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-30-2018
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: New ball wonít eat

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    Sounds like he's just getting used to his new surroundings. My preferred method is to offer fortnightly for a while, and if there's still no joy, try multies (African soft fur) for a while.

    As an example, when I brought my BEL home, roughly the same size as your boy, I offered her small weaners fortnightly without success for two months. I then switched to offering her multies of equivalent size (e.g a small multi is roughly the same size as a small weaner) so the scent is different.
    The idea is multies are native to their origins so they're triggered to feed more readily. I've also read about people getting success with gerbils which is meant to be irresistible for them, but I've never got that far.

    I've never needed to get past the multi stage. Once they take one multi, I'll follow that up with another two or three over the weeks before switching back to normal rats. Don't be surprised of they snub the first normal as they'll usually take the second the next feed!

    Good luck.




    It is 'meant to be' illegal, but I'm also aware of where I can source live feeders if my level of desperation gets to that stage. Gratefully, it never has!

    It's more a 'who you know' sort of scenario. For example, I couldn't walk in to just any reptile shop who stock frozen food and walk out with a live feeder, as they don't know me from Adam. But where you are familiar to others who may have considerably larger collections, where they may breed their own feeders, then its very much possible!
    Yeah thatís what Iím trying at the moment the multis, I will skip next week unless the food I prepare for my female he gets a sniff and seems interested.

    Heís pretty chill apart from when he got angry I removed him from his hide one time to clean


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #12
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    07-07-2019
    Posts
    537
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 432 Times in 277 Posts
    Images: 9
    Youíve had him three weeks. He has not had time to get set in his new home. Why, because youíve been trying to feed him every week. Leave him alone for two weeks. Just spot clean an water him. On week three offer prey an leave it if he doesnít hit it. In the morning I would bet the prey is gone.

    Good luck!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (10-23-2021)

  4. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-30-2018
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: New ball wonít eat

    Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    Youíve had him three weeks. He has not had time to get set in his new home. Why, because youíve been trying to feed him every week. Leave him alone for two weeks. Just spot clean an water him. On week three offer prey an leave it if he doesnít hit it. In the morning I would bet the prey is gone.

    Good luck!
    I said Ive offered food 3 times not that Iíve had him 3 weeks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #14
    BPnet Senior Member EL-Ziggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-05-2014
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    4,050
    Thanks
    4,583
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 2,572 Posts

    Re: New ball wonít eat

    If your temps are good and your snake isnít sick just wait him out. You can try different prey types to see what he prefers but Iíd stick with what I really wanted him to eat. Iíd also only offer food every 2-3 weeks for a stubborn BP. Itís frustrating when they consistently refuse food but the hunger ALWAYS wins and they ALL eat eventually. I hope your boy gets on track soon.
    3.2 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

  6. #15
    Registered User Bleh's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-27-2020
    Location
    Usually the same room as the reptiles.
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 48 Times in 35 Posts
    Images: 24

    Re: New ball wonít eat

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekerk View Post
    Yeah thatís what Iím trying at the moment the multis, I will skip next week unless the food I prepare for my female he gets a sniff and seems interested.
    I'd skip the next week even if he is showing signs if I was in your position. If you don't begin the fortnightly feeding effort now "just in case", you might fall in to that trap the following week.

    The feeding habits of BP's are one common problem almost every keeper has and everyone can relate to wanting to keep trying weekly. I hate it when any of mine have a dry spell.
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

  7. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-30-2018
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: New ball wonít eat

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    I'd skip the next week even if he is showing signs if I was in your position. If you don't begin the fortnightly feeding effort now "just in case", you might fall in to that trap the following week.

    The feeding habits of BP's are one common problem almost every keeper has and everyone can relate to wanting to keep trying weekly. I hate it when any of mine have a dry spell.
    Yeah Iíve skipped this week starting to see signed he might be hungry soon his head is poking around entrance to one of his hides now, hopefully he will take next week


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #17
    Registered User Bleh's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-27-2020
    Location
    Usually the same room as the reptiles.
    Posts
    125
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 48 Times in 35 Posts
    Images: 24

    Re: New ball wonít eat

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekerk View Post
    Yeah Iíve skipped this week starting to see signed he might be hungry soon his head is poking around entrance to one of his hides now, hopefully he will take next week
    Can completely relate to your concerns. It probably the biggest thing that gets me going when they go on a dry spell, and despite it going against everything you want to do which is just see them eat, you've got to trust the process.

    Obviously if you witness drastic weight loss or other signs of concern, then consider a reptil vet but remember how long these guys can go without a feed... my longest dry spell has been circa. 6 months for an adult, but I've spoken to someone who had an adult female go almost a year

    But have confidence he'll come around. He's young and is hardwired to eat and grow so it will almost certainly kick in with him eventually!
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

  9. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-30-2018
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: New ball wonít eat

    Think Iím just used to my female who I just put it on top her hide and sheís right out. No Tis no hassle


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #19
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,174
    Thanks
    22,070
    Thanked 14,190 Times in 8,878 Posts

    Re: New ball wonít eat

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekerk View Post
    Think Iím just used to my female who I just put it on top her hide and sheís right out. No Tis no hassle


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Snakes that aren't fussy can spoil you, for sure. It's why I prefer rat snakes & many other kinds of snakes other than BPs. A certain percentage of BPs are just "royal pains" about feeding.
    I swear that's where they got the name "Royal" pythons!? If you're set on keeping BPs, it just goes with the territory- make peace with some of them being fussy, needy snakes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    AutumnVanilla (10-27-2021),Bleh (10-27-2021)

  12. #20
    Grabbin life by the Balls Snow Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-03-2020
    Location
    Murrieta, CA
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 214 Times in 125 Posts

    Re: New ball wonít eat

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Snakes that aren't fussy can spoil you, for sure. It's why I prefer rat snakes & many other kinds of snakes other than BPs. A certain percentage of BPs are just "royal pains" about feeding.
    I swear that's where they got the name "Royal" pythons!? If you're set on keeping BPs, it just goes with the territory- make peace with some of them being fussy, needy snakes.
    This is a 100% fact some nights I'll go 16/16 on feedings and others I'll go 5/16. I've said it a million times, they're such weird animals LOL
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

    AutumnVanilla (10-27-2021),Bleh (10-27-2021),Bogertophis (10-27-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1