Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,800

3 members and 2,797 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Respiratory infection

Not sure if this is the correct spot for this..

Off to the vet I went yesterday with my girl Phobia, Tuesday night she was blowing bubbles out her nose and drooling worse than my Great Dane.. Brought her in 1st thing Wednesday, she has a respiratory infection. They sent her home with an antibiotic injection, this will b fun can't say I've ever given a reptile an injection...

Along with the injection, her Vet suggested raising the temps in her enclosure not sure to what and upping her humidity. Was a bit vague or maybe I wasn't paying attention..

Any other suggestions?

Suggestions on how to make giving her the injections easier? The vet showed me how to do the injections, which is no issue for me. Just wondering if there is an easy way to not make it so traumatic for her.. She's fine with being handled but being held down not so much..

Thanks for any suggestions..
    0.1 Pastave het Clown - Masquerade
    1.0 Onyx - Voivod
    0.1 Super Pastel Butter G-Stripe - Phobia
    1.0 Axanthic het G-Stripe - Dusk
    0.1 Normal het Axanthic - Dawn
    1.0 Pastel Axanthic - Jasper

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Auntie_Moe For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    First off, to you for responding rapidly to her symptoms.

What are the high & low temps. normally in her enclosure? (I know what we recommend, but I don't want to assume when giving a suggestion. >) Normally the warmth is increase by 2*-3*, but obviously if her home is already at the high end of what is safe, you have to take that into account. You don't want to treat an RI only to end up with a burned snake, so also be sure your method of reading the temps is accurate. And humidity- I'd raise like you would to facilitate a shed.

When needing to treat a snake (as with an injection) it's best not to over-restrain, because as you already know, that just causes the snake to panic & fight back. So gentle restraint is needed- be calm & allow some give & take- "extra hands" to hold the snake might help also.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Auntie_Moe (10-21-2021),AutumnVanilla (10-21-2021)

Thanks

Re: Respiratory infection

The best part of getting her in so fast, I made the receptionist at the Vet office feel really bad when she told me I needed to go to the ER vet as they couldn't fit her in... She put me on hold and came back with "can you be here in 30 minutes the vet will squeeze her in.."

This morning when I checked her before work, ambient on her hot side was 93 her cold side was 84. Her hot spot belly heat was 90. I also mixed water into her substrate before I left, which this morning humidity was at 56%. For checking her heat and humidity she has 2 thermometer/hygrometer, one for each side and I check all surface temps with a heat gun/aka dog chases the dot toy. lol

Also about a week ago I swapped her from paper towels to a mix of coco block/repti chip to help with holding her humidity. The vet feels that may have contributed to her RI.. Should I swap her back to paper towels?

Thank you on the holding suggestion.. She's already angry from going to the vet...
    0.1 Pastave het Clown - Masquerade
    1.0 Onyx - Voivod
    0.1 Super Pastel Butter G-Stripe - Phobia
    1.0 Axanthic het G-Stripe - Dusk
    0.1 Normal het Axanthic - Dawn
    1.0 Pastel Axanthic - Jasper