Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

2 members and 3,234 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Registered User TedBundytheSandBoa's Avatar
    Thanks

moving to new enclosure

Hey everybody and Merry Christmas!

My juvi ball python is currently in shed, has been for a number of days now, he's quite slow through the process. His eyes cleared up the a couple of days ago, and he's been rubbing his face on stuff so it's only a matter of time. Days. Who knows?
    He still eats while in shed, and ate a good meal Wednesday night. (our days of skipping meals are over.)

I'm curious, after he's digested, can I move him to his new enclosure even if he's not done shedding?
    It's all set up and I'm just patiently waiting but since he's always a slow grower, I could be waiting for quite some time. My original plan, and current plan, is to wait him out, but I was just curious if it would be too stressful or if the bigger newer stuff in the enclosure would help him shed better. I got it the day I realized he was in shed

(Humidity and temps are great, no patchy spots, it's gonna come off in 1 piece when he finally does it, he's just goin at his own pace.)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    I'd personally just wait it out and move him over after the shed. Less stress is always a good thing.

Part of why he is shedding slowly may be because he's digesting at the same time. Snakes are all different, but remember they have a slower metabolism, so when the body is trying to do 2 things at once, it takes more time.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-24-2021),Erie_herps (12-25-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: moving to new enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by TedBundytheSandBoa View Post
    ...He still eats while in shed, and ate a good meal Wednesday night. (our days of skipping meals are over.) ...
    During sheds is actually a good time to skip his meals, just so you know. As Armiyana mentioned, digestion slows down the shedding process- but it can also make a mess of it, since both digestion & shedding uses up water in the snake's body, so sometimes multi-tasking makes for a dreadful stuck-on shed, because the moisture their body normally secretes between the old & new layer of skin to facilitate it's removal might all be used up for digestion instead. See?

I think I'd leave him be -in his "old home" -until he's done shedding. And cross my fingers for the shed.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-24-2021 at 10:04 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-24-2021),Erie_herps (12-25-2021)

Registered User TedBundytheSandBoa's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: moving to new enclosure

Ah, I've always heard to skip during shed, also. But I also heard that feeding, if they'll take, during shedding is not a bad thing-so the information you've given was helpful for future sheds.
    He just has a very healthy appetite now that we've gotten over our feeding struggles.

I am going to wait and move him when he's done. I changed his water earlier and he came out of his hide to drink and say hello, he's about ready to fully shed, so I think this time we lucked out. Now I know though.

Thanks for all of the advice.