Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,951

6 members and 2,945 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Babies in Grow out - how do you handle?

So I've been breeding my ASF for maybe 9m and have been able (somehow) to avoid this situation but had a litter born in my grow out. I can see that I lost a couple of the pups and just wonder, do you all move litters to your breeding colony (mine is 1:3) when this happens and let the moms in there nurse them or just leave them be?

Thanks!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    So, now your have a new colony. Pick three females an two males.

Now, I don’t do grow out tubs for ASF. If I did it would be the same as the rats. Males an females in separate tubs.

Why don’t I use grow out tubs for ASF? Because I don’t have to replace colonies this way. Just gas the sizes I need an thin the males. It’s been working for eight years that way.

Good luck!

Thanks

Re: Babies in Grow out - how do you handle?

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    So, now your have a new colony. Pick three females an two males.

Now, I don’t do grow out tubs for ASF. If I did it would be the same as the rats. Males an females in separate tubs.

Why don’t I use grow out tubs for ASF? Because I don’t have to replace colonies this way. Just gas the sizes I need an thin the males. It’s been working for eight years that way.

Good luck!
    Thanks for that! I haven't got setup to gas (my snakes are live only) but looks like I should OR sell back males, immediately, to the local petstore (it just sucks because they only do $3 in store credit) because I don't really "need" another colony but I suppose if more locals need them, I could benefit from gassing and 2nd colony.

I appreciate the advice, now I have more to think about. Ha ha

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If the store is giving you $3 what can you get cash? Near me I can get $12 for a pet. But I hate meeting in a parking lot an very few snake keepers have been to the farm. Now, I’ve set up at local meets an sold. Then word of mouth grts people asking for frozen all the time. Plus, with ASF you always have live fuzzies for the keepers with problem noodles or hatchlings, I get $1 each unless they buy often then .50

Good luck!

Thanks

Re: Babies in Grow out - how do you handle?

The pet store doesn't really have anything I need or want. I get $5 live and if I get into this frozen game, will do $6 or $7 (I didn't really want to hassle with). Having to offload is a "new" problem that I knew I'd come to but hadn't fully formed the process yet. No one coming to my home and I'm not worried about meeting a fast food restaurant parking lot.

I appreciate you replying, essentially forcing me to work through this.