Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,987

2 members and 2,985 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Nervous boy, welcoming any tips.

Hello,
    I have a BP that I bought and had shipped to my how about three weeks ago. He is the second oldest that I own. We have three younger than him. Only reason I bring up age is because perhaps it is a factor for the subject I am going to bring up. All of our other BPs are pretty chill with slight personality differences. But this guy. Holy moly, he is a sticker. It seems as though he is more scared and nervous than being aggressive. We tried feeding him for the first time today. Let him chill out in his new home and even waited another week because of how nervous he is. He struck at a mouse grabbed it and pulled it into his hide. We left him for about a half hour then checked on him. He dropped the mouse and was just hovering over it.
    Feeding isn't the reason I am writing. I'll just try another time with him. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a nervous snake that strikes and tries to hide and the cycle continues. I don't want to stress him out at all. But I also don't want him to be afraid of us. I feel bad for him. He seems so scared. Is there a chance I could tame him or is this just his personality? Does anyone have any tips of what I can do to make him feel more comfortable? He is in a 32qt tub that is a low one, I have a black hide with some cozy reptibark inside, and just a water dish. He is also in a quiet area in the corner in the house. We try not to bother him, only to check on him and everytime he goes speeding around and looking to hide then comes up in strike position and keeps striking. Eventually trying to hide again. He is such a gorgeous snake and I feel so bad for him. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Oh and he is going to be a year in December.
    We have a female that just turned a year this month and she is just a chill girl. We have a male and female hatched in July of this year and a little female hatched in August all three are pretty good snakes. Just wondering if this is a juvenile thing?

Thanks

Re: Nervous boy, welcoming any tips.

That could be just his personality, I would continue to leave him alone until he eats, I assume you’re feeding frozen thawed. Try a live maybe he’ll like that better until you can get him on a consistent feeding schedule then switch him back to FT. After you get him eating regularly then you can try to tame him down. I have a male who still gets scared of me every time I open his tub and I’ve owned him for about 2 years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

JJpeep (10-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Snakes don't all have the same personality: they don't all have the same genetics or the same life experiences, so why would you expect them to behave the same way? Be patient, have empathy- you'll figure out ways to help him settle in- mostly takes time.

You also mentioned this new snake is nearly a year old- many find that older snakes are MORE stressed by re-homing than young ones are. They've come to depend on their home environment- whereas hatchlings are like we were as little kids...pretty oblivious to many things, so they adapt with a bit less stress. Remember that snakes have NO clue as to how or why their entire world just changed (after being shipped, or taken home from a local store) so they may try to find their "home" for some time. Yes, when you understand what they're going thru, it feels pretty awful for them. Imagine yourself being abducted by aliens & carted off to a different world in a space ship, & you might have some idea what it feels like to be him.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (10-19-2021),JJpeep (10-19-2021)

Thanks

Never expected him to have the same personality as the others. I understand all living creatures have different personalities. It also makes alot of sense that you say he is older and it is probably harder for him to be rehomed. Now I feel worse for him. Poor guy🥺.

Thanks

Of course I will except him any way he is. I was just wondering if there were any suggestions on how to make him feel more comfortable. Maybe he never will then. I will continue to be patient.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-19-2021)