Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,722

3 members and 2,719 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Do the number of follicles increase with age?

Hello fellow ballers. First time breeder here, long time owner of balls tho. Ive learned so much from this forum but I couldnt find anything about this:

Does the number of follicles increase with age? Do they stay the same amount when they become adults? Any ideas or theories on how to increase the amount of follicles? Do you always get approximately the same number of eggs from the same female?

love yall and your balls

- spodermon
    Last edited by spodermon; 10-17-2021 at 01:54 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spodermon For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (10-17-2021)

Thanks
    I've heard that females that are bred early have a lower number of follicles for the rest of their life. A female that is bred later will consistently have more eggs.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (10-17-2021),spodermon (10-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Re: Do the number of follicles increase with age?

The amount of follicles that grow and become fertilized depends on the size of the female for the most part. If the female grows a lot, she will have a lot more eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    I've heard that females that are bred early have a lower number of follicles for the rest of their life. A female that is bred later will consistently have more eggs.
    I have found this to be not entirely true. The major issue is people not giving them a season off in between to put on more size unless they are really below weight, so the female is only ever regaining lost weight and not growing larger, or growing larger at an extremely slow pace. Giving her a year or more off will help.

Getting enough well timed locks seems to help to some extent too. I have an exceptionally large female who only gave my 8 eggs this year after having only one successful lock before it was too late, where she has had far larger clutches in the past.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-18-2021),Bogertophis (10-17-2021),Erie_herps (10-17-2021),Snow Balls (10-18-2021),spodermon (10-18-2021)

Thanks

Re: Do the number of follicles increase with age?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    The amount of follicles that grow and become fertilized depends on the size of the female for the most part. If the female grows a lot, she will have a lot more eggs.

I have found this to be not entirely true. The major issue is people not giving them a season off in between to put on more size unless they are really below weight, so the female is only ever regaining lost weight and not growing larger, or growing larger at an extremely slow pace. Giving her a year or more off will help.

Getting enough well timed locks seems to help to some extent too. I have an exceptionally large female who only gave my 8 eggs this year after having only one successful lock before it was too late, where she has had far larger clutches in the past.
    So pretty much be more patient and u get more eggs darn okay