Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,381

2 members and 1,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

How to keep ambient temp stable? Ok handling on winter?

Hello everyone, since winter is near i'd like to ask a few questions. I use 2 heat pads to warm up the ground temp, but i do wonder if plastic containers can keep the air temp warm and stable? I use a thermomether w probes to check temps, and on the cool side one probe shows there are 26-27° (C), meanwhile the small digital temp and humidity reader (that is also on the cool side) says there are 24.7°, unsure if it just absorbs the ground temp or the air warmth around it.. I'm just worried that it will just go lower. Is ground warmth enough for a BP? Also a question about handling, can i take my BP out of its enclosure at winter at least for a short while? Luckily i live in a pretty hot place and winters aren't snowy and freezing cold, so the room temp often stays at 20° when it gets cold, but since it's low for a ball python.. Can i handle him on winter? Let him slither in warm covers? Or.. Should i just wait for spring/summer when it gets warm?

Thanks

Re: How to keep ambient temp stable? Ok handling on winter?

Hi,

I don't think you have much of an issue here. As long as the ambient temperature in the room stays warm enough and doesn't get too cold you shouldn't have any issues. If you are worried it is going to drop, try adding an overhead heat source to heat the air in the enclosure but this probably isn't necessary if you live in a warm climate. I have kept ball pythons om mats when the outside temperature was below freezing without any issues (Note: I had overhead heat on other animals in the room so the room itself would stay quite warm).

The main thing is that the snake has access to both a warm side and a cool side that is within the correct levels. Try placing a hide over these two areas and it may help create a 'microclimate' where the air and ground temperature are fairly constant within the enclosed space.

Absolutely no issues taking your snake out for a bit of handling in a 20C room.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mechliam For This Useful Post:

Nephil (10-14-2021)