Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,221

1 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Advice on Not Eating and Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Were you using the tape to cover sharp edges on the "hide" after cutting the doorway? If so, all you need to do is slightly melt the plastic. Get a cheap "soldering iron"- which is also what most ppl use to put ventilation holes in the plastic tubs they use for snakes. Like this: "30 watt lightweight soldering iron"
    (always do this- melting plastic- OUTSIDE like on porch or in garage- as the fumes are very toxic- avoid breathing them, okay?)

Yes I was. I do have a soldering iron I’ll use that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to robithinker For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: Advice on Not Eating and Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You mean for the outside, as insulation & privacy?
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to robithinker For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    There's always more than one way to accommodate the needs of our serpents, & we don't mind one bit helping you brainstorm some improvements so your snake thrives. Creativity comes in pretty handy when keeping snakes- I'm prone to wandering hardware ("home improvement") stores for ideas & solutions too- & I have done so for many years. Keeps things interesting.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    I made some changes to the tank last Tuesday based on everyone's feedback. I added a new hide (in the middle with rocks glued to the top of it), and more plants. I am waiting on a couple more to be delivered. She still did not eat. I left her untouched from Tuesday to today. It has now been 21 days. I thawed out a mouse then left it under the heat lamp for about 10 minutes, then used the blow dryer for about 30 seconds to send the scent into the cage, then left it overnight on top of the hide in the middle. She is staying mostly in the hide on the right. This morning I put the mouse in front of the hide where she is laying and not a thing. Not sure when/if I should take her to a vet. She is only 3 months old.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by robithinker; 10-18-2021 at 04:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    It takes time for many snakes to accept changes in their homes- BPs are often sensitive about this, because their modus operandi is to lay low & hide- they're ambush-predators, so change makes them feel insecure. If you don't see symptoms of something a vet needs to treat, it's unlikely they can help you with getting a BP to eat. Vets are there to treat illness, & to do surgery when needed- when you take in a snake that has no apparent illness, not only do they generally not know how to help you, but they may run tests or even try to prescribe something that may cause more harm than good in the way of stressing your snake, so be careful to choose a vet that's well-versed with snake-keeping, IF & when you actually have a sick snake. In your case, it appears to be husbandry issues with an unsettled-in BP. That could change in time though, as stress in snakes lowers their immune health just as it does in us & other creatures.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (10-18-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123