Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,275

1 members and 3,274 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Temperature and humidity question

I wanted to know if it's neccessary to lower night temperatures for my bp? He is 3 months old and I've read some people don't do it for babys. My breeder also said they don't do it for babys since their immunesystem is not as good as adults.
    And secondly my BP is in shed right now and my humidity has been 80% for the last two days. I've been trying to lowering it but substrate isn't dried out yet. Is that dangerous?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I'd agree & listen to your breeder- don't lower the temps. at night. It's not needed anyway.

80% is rather high- more air-flow for a while should help dry it out, but I doubt that it's actually "dangerous" as is (esp. since he's in shed), just not optimal.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-10-2021),Hugsplox (11-08-2021)

Thanks

Re: Temperature and humidity question

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd agree & listen to your breeder- don't lower the temps. at night. It's not needed anyway.

80% is rather high- more air-flow for a while should help dry it out, but I doubt that it's actually "dangerous" as is (esp. since he's in shed), just not optimal.
    Ok then I will let the temperatures be.
    With humidity I am worried about RI. Normally I wanted the humidity in his shed to be around 60 to 70 but I just switched the substrate from cypress mulch to coco blocks and now the substrate doesn't dry out.
    I will try opening the enclosure up a few times today.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    Ok then I will let the temperatures be.....I will try opening the enclosure up a few times today.
    That's what I'd do.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

How are you measuring humidity? Many humidity gauges can be off. I use for a range not exact like an IR temp gun.

80% humidity for a short period should not cause in RI, if it is that high. Especially if temps are correct and you're not dropping them at night. I do not recommend that and further low temps and high humidity is more likely to cause an RI than slightly elevated humidity and correct temps to help shed.

Take a deep breathe. It is very easy to neglect a reptile, but just as easy to overthink, tinker, and cause problems.

It sounds like you have temps dialed in, are aware of humidity, want to keep the cage clean, want to feed appropriately, etc. That's what matters.

I used to keep fish and there is little margin for error especially with certain species and water quality. Reptiles are a little more forgiving in most instances.

Get things dialed in and then let it be. Check temps daily, keep the cage and water clean, feed, etc. You will be fine. If every waking minute you are worried about your pet, you will burn out. Trust me, I have 11 tanks and 11 reptiles. If I was that meticulous about every tank and I would have zero time to live and/or enjoy the reptiles.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but rather encourage you. You seem to be on top of things. Have a little faith in you. Relax. Enjoy your new BP.

Any questions feel free to ask. We are here to help.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-08-2021),Bogertophis (10-10-2021),Hugsplox (11-08-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    How are you measuring humidity? Many humidity gauges can be off. I use for a range not exact like an IR temp gun.

80% humidity for a short period should not cause in RI, if it is that high. Especially if temps are correct and you're not dropping them at night. I do not recommend that and further low temps and high humidity is more likely to cause an RI than slightly elevated humidity and correct temps to help shed.

Take a deep breathe. It is very easy to neglect a reptile, but just as easy to overthink, tinker, and cause problems.

It sounds like you have temps dialed in, are aware of humidity, want to keep the cage clean, want to feed appropriately, etc. That's what matters.

I used to keep fish and there is little margin for error especially with certain species and water quality. Reptiles are a little more forgiving in most instances.

Get things dialed in and then let it be. Check temps daily, keep the cage and water clean, feed, etc. You will be fine. If every waking minute you are worried about your pet, you will burn out. Trust me, I have 11 tanks and 11 reptiles. If I was that meticulous about every tank and I would have zero time to live and/or enjoy the reptiles.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but rather encourage you. You seem to be on top of things. Have a little faith in you. Relax. Enjoy your new BP.

Any questions feel free to ask. We are here to help.
    Yes you're right. I am prone to overreact in such situations.
    I have looked up BP care for a year before getting one because I wamted to make sure he would have a good life with me. And I try to provide the best life for all my animals and just enjoy seeing them live their best life like any keeper should.
    So when something seems just slightly off I can get anxious very quickly and need some reasurance that I am still doing anything I can. A snake is just so new to me that I worry even more. I wouldn't be this worked up if one of my cats had a sneize because I know these animals in and out but reptiles, that's a little different.
    Some say ball pythons are a hardy and forgiving species but at the same time I've heard horror storys where a healthy snake would be dead in it's enclosure the next day without an apperant reason.
    I really want to enjoy my new animal and spend time with him but at the same time the constant worry I could do something bad really puts a damper on my enjoyment.

The humidity has benn around 80 for three days now. The substrate hasn't dried out yet after the cage clean.
    I now open up the enclosure slightly over the day which puts the humidity at 65 percent for the day. I hope the substrate can dry out like this.
    Last edited by CakeLike; 10-10-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks

I use this for humidity monitoring. https://us.govee.com/products/wi-fi-...umidity-sensor

Have heard many good things about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    I use this for humidity monitoring. https://us.govee.com/products/wi-fi-...umidity-sensor

Have heard many good things about it.
    Where did you place this in your enclosure? Does it stick to glass?