Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,022

2 members and 3,020 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

For those of you who use Coco Fiber, how exactly do you thoroughly clean enclosures?

It’s like dirt, do you scoop it out and then vacuum around the corners? I previously used cypress mulch but have moved some where that it’s much more expensive to buy. I tried paper towels and news papers but I just don’t like using them as much because when my snakes tip there water it just soaks everything so I went with the coco fiber. Advice?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    I use a shopvac for my large glass tank. If there's a lot of wet clumps sometimes I will scoop it out first with a small dustpan. But if it's mostly dry I just vaccuum it out. My tubs are easy enough to just dump most times.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (10-09-2021)

Thanks

Re: For those of you who use Coco Fiber, how exactly do you thoroughly clean enclosur

I spot clean when necessary. If it's generally dry poop or urites, I just use my hand and then clean my hands afterward. Before putting my hand in, I use hand sanitizer which I keep next to my enclosures (though probably not necessary).

Of it's a messy or wet cleanup, I might put on gloves but I use paper towels to clean up, and discard and substrate that's affected. I'm not stingy on the substrate, so sometimes I get rid of a little more than necessary. After cleanup, if it left any stains I would just spray some water and cleans best I can with a paper towel.

Once a month I do a deeper clean... where I dump out all the substrate, clean the inside of the enclosure using F10 (properly diluted), anything inside, and then put fresh substrate in there.

I do it once a month, though lately I've done it every few months die to my own free time. I don't think it's necessary to do it once a month, but that's what I do.

Of note... if I have any open cuts or wounds on my hands, I usually use gloves. I've heard horror stories with bacteria of people sticking open wounded hands into fish tanks and reptile a closures, so I just try to be on the safe side. I have no direct knowledge of this, bit it's just my way of trying be safe.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Re: For those of you who use Coco Fiber, how exactly do you thoroughly clean enclosur

Forgot to add... I do have a hand vac dedicated to the snake enclosures, that I use when doing the deep clean.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake