Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,787

1 members and 2,786 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

First time cleaning enclosure how?

It's time to deep clean my BP's enclosure for the first time. I have F10 which I am gonna use. Can I put my snake right in after cleaning or do I have to wait?
    It's also complicated because his feeding day and the clean are very close together and since I shouldn't move him after feeding I am wondering which should be first and so on.
    I am also worried if I clean everything that my snake will become anxious because of the "new" environment. And if I feed after he might not take it.
    What do you suggest?

Thanks

Re: First time cleaning enclosure how?

When I clean my snakes enclosure I normally put a small amount of her current bedding in the tub I put her in while I'm cleaning her enclosure. I don't really deep clean her hides every cleaning unless it's got some poo or pee on it and the same with her fake plants. I may clean one of her 3 hides and some of her fake plants every cleaning. I do thoroughly wiper all the sides and bottom with a chlorhexidine solution then after a few minutes of airing out I wipe everything down again with a damp cloth. Finally I put the new bedding and her hides and plants back. When the enclosure gets bck to the right temps I put my snake AND the small amount of old bedding back in.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Piwaket187 For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (10-07-2021)

Thanks

On all my snakes, 4 total, I do the same. I place the snake into a temporary plastic tub, with old bedding, and some other scrap stuff to add clutter and security. I then empty out the main enclosure completely. Then I do a quick wipe down with a damp cloth, and remove any dirt, debris, feces, etc that may be on the walls floor and ceilings. Then I sprayed down with f10 diluted with water. I let that soak in for about 10 minutes (although I don't think 10 minutes is necessary, I just do it since I'm cleaning other stuff anyway). While the f10 is there doing its work, I go ahead and clean the hides and other stuff inside the enclosure with either bleached diluted water, or antibacterial dish soap. When I'm done with that, I completely wipe down the f10 and the enclosure, making sure it's as dry as can be. I've been put in all the new bedding, what a dish, and the other decorations and stuff that goes in the tank, turn the heat on, and then place the snake back in there.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the feeding. If you miss a day or two from your schedule it's not a big deal. I usually try to do the cleaning a day or two before it's time to feed. And, while I do spot cleaning very often, whenever I see poop or urites, the deep cleaning I do about once a month. I know many will say once a month is too much, but I use that as my baseline. Yes, sometimes it'll go 2 months or 3 months. But I aim to do it on a monthly basis.

That's how I do it, might be overkill, might not. I'm sure for some snakes that "overkill" can be more stressing than helpful. But my snakes seem chill and very comfortable when I do this. And while the other three snakes will easily eat either the same day or the next day with absolutely no issues, the ball python I try to give a few days after cleaning to try and feed again, since she's a little more picky and finicky.

Hope this helps.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (10-07-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    It's time to deep clean my BP's enclosure for the first time. I have F10 which I am gonna use. Can I put my snake right in after cleaning or do I have to wait?
    It's also complicated because his feeding day and the clean are very close together and since I shouldn't move him after feeding I am wondering which should be first and so on.
    I am also worried if I clean everything that my snake will become anxious because of the "new" environment. And if I feed after he might not take it.
    What do you suggest?
    Be SURE you dilute the F10 properly. Wipe it dry. As long as everything is dry, your snake can go right back in. You shouldn't be smelling any chemical- if you are, something's wrong.

In my house, there's no such thing as "feeding day" or "cleaning day"- in other words, I have no inflexible 'schedules'. If you expect your snake to be nervous & refuse food after his home is cleaned, then just tidy it up for now, feed him, & don't deep clean until after he eats & has digested well enough to be handled. (I'd wait 2 days after his meal, at least.)

With my snakes, they wouldn't care- I can clean & feed right then- but BPs are often "special" about things like this.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (10-07-2021)

Thanks

I have just looked at him and he is about to go into shed. His eyes are a little blue already.
    So feeding falls flat than?

Thanks

I have just looked at him and he is about to go into shed. His eyes are a little blue already.
    So feeding falls flat than?
    I would skip feeding. He'll probably refuse & you'll just waste the food. No point- he's fine. Snakes evolved to skip meals- they don't live on "schedules".

But since he's not eating, you could go ahead & clean his enclosure now.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-07-2021 at 12:51 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JoeNapoli (10-07-2021)

Thanks
    I tend to spot clean and mist all my tubs 48 hours before or after feeding day. That gives my snakes a good amount of time to not see me before I feed or a good amount of time to digest after feeding. Same thing goes for deep cleaning. 48 hours before or 48 hours after. You can feed in shed, most don't recommend it but if my snakes are interested in food I offer. 90% of mine will eat in shed, its what works for you and your snake. If you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't, just make sure if you do that all the temps and humidity are up to par
    Last edited by Snow Balls; 10-07-2021 at 01:13 PM.
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks

Ok then I try to wait with feeding till he's shed.
    How long will it be approximately? How can I tell how long it will take from now on. His colors are very dull now and have a grey hue to them, his eyes are already blue.

Thanks

Ok then I try to wait with feeding till he's shed.
    How long will it be approximately? How can I tell how long it will take from now on. His colors are very dull now and have a grey hue to them, his eyes are already blue.
    No way to tell you- snakes don't all take the same amount of time to shed, not even for the same snake at different times. It takes as long as it takes.

Good hydration & not being in the middle of digesting a meal will make it go faster & smoother.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (10-08-2021)