Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,767

0 members and 2,767 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Help, ball python not shedding

Hello everyone, thanks for checking on my thread. I really am unsure if i should worry bout this, but i saw my ball python in blue phase around 5 days ago, though even if his eyes cleared up 1 day after i noticed that, he still didn't shed his skin off. Right now he's lethargic, not acting like a hungry beast like before, and his skin is cloudy. Other times he'd shed after 2 days from blue phase, though now his eyes cleared up 4 days ago and his skin is still attached. Is there anything wrong? I live in a pretty humid place and the humidity sticks to 65/70 everyday without me doing anything btw.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If the humidity is good all should be good. Some sheds take longer than others.

They are usually not moving around during a shed so that's normal.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: Help, ball python not shedding

No need to worry, just relax and let the snake do it’s thing. They’ve been shedding their own skins for millennia. He’ll be fine.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Sometimes they shed while hiding, & leave it rolled up under the substrate where you don't notice they're done, but I'd just wait- in case he hasn't shed yet- snakes know when they're ready, it's not an exact time that they all adhere to. I WOULD raise his humidity some by misting & /or offering a humid hide, just in case he's having trouble & is not as well-hydrated as you assume.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nephil View Post
    ...I live in a pretty humid place and the humidity sticks to 65/70 everyday without me doing anything btw.
    Is that the humidity outside? in your house? or in the snake's home? Where are you getting this reading?

Keep in mind that our HVAC systems remove humidity from our homes, & also, the heat required to keep a ball python healthy will evaporate the humidity in their home.
    You want his HOME to be about 70% when it's "shedding time".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Is that the humidity outside? in your house? or in the snake's home? Where are you getting this reading?

Keep in mind that our HVAC systems remove humidity from our homes, & also, the heat required to keep a ball python healthy will evaporate the humidity in their home.
    You want his HOME to be about 70% when it's "shedding time".
    Hello there, i meant the humidity outside is high so i don't have to struggle keeping the right humidity in the tub for my snake. Though i do read the humidity in his tub with a small square shaped digital thermometer that also is a hygrometer (no worries, i read the temp on another thermometer with 2 probes under the substrate)

Thanks

Im really grateful for all the answers and i apologise if i sounded overdramatic, just wanted to make sure my BP is okay ^^'
    The good news is that he shed at daytime, while i posted this thread in the morning. Didn't know shedding still can take so long after blue phase, though i still feel like BP's just love to do their thing after stressing out their owner haha

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nephil For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-08-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nephil View Post
    Im really grateful for all the answers and i apologise if i sounded overdramatic, just wanted to make sure my BP is okay ^^'
    The good news is that he shed at daytime, while i posted this thread in the morning. Didn't know shedding still can take so long after blue phase, though i still feel like BP's just love to do their thing after stressing out their owner haha
    Yes, I think that's it, all snakes just love to make us worry & watch 'em. It can take a couple days or even a week after the "blue phase" before they shed. They go "clear" first, when their body secretes some moisture between the old & new skin. IF they're poorly hydrated or still digesting a meal*, that can slow the whole process down also, because their digestion uses up water in their body also. *This is why I'd suggest that you avoid providing meals when a snake is in shed; some will refuse to eat then anyway, but if they don't it can mess with their shed, or make it take longer- just not enough water in their body to do it all at once.