Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,800

3 members and 2,797 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shed question

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Shed question

Quote Originally Posted by rzeppy View Post
    ...I must have misunderstood when i read that some people still offer food in blue? he hasnt missed a meal since ive had him. wonder if that was the catalyst to this

No, you didn't misunderstand, & yes, that's very likely what caused this. Some people insist their snakes have no problem with "multi-tasking" because they just haven't seen it yet- some snakes do better than others, & members giving advice here may only have one or a couple of snakes. The more snakes you live with or the more years you have doing so, the better experience you have to share, so like everything else in life, consider the source you listen to. They mean well, & it would appear they prefer to keep to a "feeding schedule" & risk their snake having a terrible shed.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    ...When I do this, I use a clear tub with air holes near the top and a lid. I use warm(ish) water (try to match the temp of the BP), put them in the tub which filled maybe just higher than the thickest part of the snakes body and I'll place the tub in the enclosure (as I have space to do so) and after approximately 20 mins, I remove the lid and allow the snake to leave when they're ready (often, they just chill for a little while longer as if they're enjoying a soak in the bath)...

Bleh gave you good suggestions too, but I just want to clarify one thing about bathing/soaking a snake: use a thermometer to check the temperature of the water before you put the snake in.

Most snakes react poorly to this process, but it's for several reasons, one being the temperature of the water. Our body temperature is 98.6*, so for the water to FEEL warm to us means it will be over 98.6* & therefore, TOO HOT for the snake. You want the water to be in the low to mid-80's, not above that, for the snake's comfort. The water is going to feel cool to you.

The other reason snakes "hate baths" is the loss of traction- it understandably freaks them out to suddenly be placed in water with nothing to grab onto so they try to exit as fast as possible. You can mitigate that by keeping the water shallow (never deeper than their actual "height") so they're always touching bottom & not being forced to swim. You can also put a small towel in the water, which will also provide some friction to help them remove the old skin.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-06-2021 at 10:00 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (10-06-2021)

Thanks

well i tried the shallow tub with a dish towel. 78 degree water when he went in. 45 minutes. gave him a wipe down when he was done. he looks ALOT better now. thank you guys so much!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rzeppy For This Useful Post:

Bleh (10-08-2021),Bogertophis (10-06-2021)

Thanks
    So it all came off then?

Thanks

looked like it!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rzeppy View Post
    looked like it!!
    Yesssssss!

Be sure you check for eye caps or tail tips left behind- very important. Also, many snakes have trouble shedding their chins- & while not serious like the other things I mentioned, it's miserable to remove.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-06-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yesssssss!

Be sure you check for eye caps or tail tips left behind- very important. Also, many snakes have trouble shedding their chins- & while not serious like the other things I mentioned, it's miserable to remove.

Will Do!!

Thanks
    Eye caps- best to check the shed skin to make sure they came off as intended. BUT, IF you can't find them, don't assume they're still on (they can be hard to find). Some ppl have actually damaged a snake's eyes trying to remove the "shed eye caps" thinking they hadn't yet come off- so if in doubt- get a vet to help.

Tail tips- if shed is left on the tail tip, it can cause the death of tissue & the LOSS of the snake's tail tip- there is so little blood circulation in their tail, that even one or 2 sheds left on may constrict that tiny blood flow, causing the death of the tissue. If necrotic tissue is not surgically removed it can cause further health complications. Always check tail tips.

Chins- sheds "love" to get stuck there, & as you can probably imagine, snakes really "love it" when we try to help with its removal.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bleh (10-08-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Tail tips- if shed is left on the tail tip, it can cause the death of tissue & the LOSS of the snake's tail tip..... Always check tail tips.

Chins- sheds "love" to get stuck there, & as you can probably imagine, snakes really "love it" when we try to help with its removal.
    What I find helps with the tail tip is to wet your fingers whilst handling and gently apply the moisture to the area of stuck shed, wait a few, do it again. Eventually the skin will become soft enough to sort of 'roll' off.

With the chin, again whilst handling and like with the tail, wet one hand along the thumb and index finger area and whilst handling, gently hold around neck area, they'll naturally try to back out of it and as they do, you can apply just enough pressure so they can still move freely but you can also apply moisture to the stuck shed. As with the tail, after a few goes, the skin rolls off.

I've only had chin skin stick once so there may well be better methods, but this is what's worked for me and mine!
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Any stubborn shed or even retained eyecaps can be removed using a wet / very damp , rough textured bath towel .

Get a wet or very damp rough textured towel and gently wrap the snake in the towel .. .then whilst it wriggles continually inside the towel you apply very gentle pressure to the stubborn areas on the snake ... when it’s head pops out simply cover it up with the excess towel and continue,

You may get a little wet yourself but this method ( done properly) rarely fails to be honest:cens0r:.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast