Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,038

1 members and 3,037 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Reptile safe disinfectant out there?

I am asking if there is any disinfectant that could safely be used ON a reptile, not just the cage.
    Since I have learned about cryptosporidia after emergency housing a half dead leopard gecko for a day, I have become EXTREMELY anxious. I never knew if the leopard gecko was positive since I had it only one day, than spipped him off to another keeper and he died shortly after but anyhow....
    After this I am so scared I only touch my ball python with gloves and try to prevent anything from outside his enclosure to get inside which is very hard.
    So I disinfect as much as I can but I am still anxious since I cannot disinfect my snake.
    Is there anything at all that would be safe to clean a snake with?
    Last edited by CakeLike; 10-04-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks
    F10...

I use F10 for all my cleaning. I've never used it on my BP's or leopard geckos but I've spoken to more than one who have said they have.

I suppose their logic can be supported by when we clean the enclosures or equipment with it which they can then easily transfer to their mouths and ingest if they rub their heads on the sides / drink from an F10 cleaned bowl etc etc.
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Reptile safe disinfectant out there?

Did you keep this sick leopard gecko in the same room as your BP? Did you handle the sick leopard gecko and then go pick up your healthy snake? I understand why you’re experiencing some anxiety, but I think you may be trying to kill a fly with a shotgun, so to speak.

If your enclosures are clean, wash your hands between handling animals, and you quarantine new arrivals you should be fine. I wouldn’t go wiping my snakes down with F10 or chlorhexidine regardless of if it may or may not have any adverse effects.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Yeah I use F10 for all cleaning/ disinfecting.. it’s used by all UK vets so that’s good enough for me .

Just follow the diluting instructions carefully.. I think it’s 1 part : 250 water from memory for disinfectant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Did you keep this sick leopard gecko in the same room as your BP? Did you handle the sick leopard gecko and then go pick up your healthy snake? I understand why you’re experiencing some anxiety, but I think you may be trying to kill a fly with a shotgun, so to speak.

If your enclosures are clean, wash your hands between handling animals, and you quarantine new arrivals you should be fine. I wouldn’t go wiping my snakes down with F10 or chlorhexidine regardless of if it may or may not have any adverse effects.
    No. I had it for one day only, kept in antoher room with it's tank. I toched the gecko only with gloves but I touched items of the enclosure with my hands. I did wash my hands and disinfected them but only with "normal" disinfectant that is not effective against cryptosporidia as I later learned. As soon as I knew this I bought stronger disinfectant marketed against cryptos and wiped down every surface the geckos tank came in contact with. I washed blankets in my home I placed the items on. I did what I could.
    But since I didn't use this disinfectant early on I now am paranoid my home and myself could have the parasites somewhere and if I let my snake touch anything out of it's enclosure it will get sick.
    I wish there was a way to relieve my mind of this but I have been told cryptos last around six months and this happend three weeks ago, so I will probably not get over it till then.
    It also bugs me that I don't even know if the gecko had it. It was severely malnourished. People in the reptile community said to me it looked like the geckos with cryptos, it had the dreaded "stick tail". But now it's too late to know if it was sick or just so underfed.
    It's not fun at all to not be able to touch my BP.
    Last edited by CakeLike; 10-04-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry to much about it, what's done is done. For future reference some snake mite treatments might be effective against germs and they're obviously safe to use on snakes.

Thanks

Has anyone had experience with UV-C Lighting? Does it do much at all?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    You mean like they use in hospitals? NO, & don't even go there. Anything you can afford to buy won't do a darn thing, regardless of whatever tv-schtick they try to sell you on. Nor could I promise it's safe to use.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (10-04-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You mean like they use in hospitals? NO, & don't even go there. Anything you can afford to buy won't do a darn thing, regardless of whatever tv-schtick they try to sell you on. Nor could I promise it's safe to use.
    I mean something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F4K8YCZ...366533&sr=8-13

What about dish soap or soaps in general at least? for washing sometimes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    It should not be used on the snake. UVC works by radiation and is very harmful to living things. That's why it's used for killing microorganisms in the air and water. I was just researching UVCs effectiveness on preventing the spread of airborne snake virus like nidovirus.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-04-2021)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast