Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

0 members and 2,827 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Snake yawns frequently, is it bad?

My snake yawns often. I see him almost every day doing it. He opens his mouth wide and closes it again.
    I am worried because of RI but he doesn't show any of the signs. No mucus around mouth, no weezing, temperatures are fine, humidity should be fine (50 to 70%). He eats great, is active. It's just the yawning. I know snakes do it but mine does it really often so I just wanted to ask.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Snakes yawn for various reasons- besides trouble breathing (RI), they yawn after most every meal to re-set their flexible jaws (the rows of teeth) back to where they're comfortable & fit- sometimes they get out of whack when snakes eat, & sometimes they even catch their teeth on another part of their mouth accidentally- you'll typically see part of the edge of their jaw appear to be rolled inward a little. I've had to help snakes "un-hook" their teeth more than once over the years...above all be gentle & make sure you don't hurt their mouth if this is what's going on.

Also, a complete shed includes the outer part of each nostril- if they're dehydrated or their humidity is too low, sometimes the old skin gets stuck in their nostrils & that can make it harder for them to breath, since they cannot "blow their nose" like we do to clear the obstruction. So if you're sure you see no signs of RI, I would try misting a few times, then look in each nostril closely- see any bits of loose skin? I've been able to remove it with tweezers & a calm hand- but you may need some help if your snake is uncooperative. Or wait for the next shed, & hope they clear it by themselves.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (10-05-2021),nikkubus (10-02-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Snake yawns frequently, is it bad?

Sign to look out for for ri

Wheezing/crackling breathing
    Elevated head position
    Visible mucus or bubbles
    Rubbing side of face on enclosure(when not in shed)

If none of these together probably just a yawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    To add to the above snakes also will yawn in new environments to bring in more scents (the more effective version to flicking their tongue). So if your snake flicks his tongue often or you recently got a new snake/pet this could be it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-02-2021),enyonaudrey (02-19-2022),Hugsplox (10-05-2021)

Thanks

I have had him for three weeks now.
    And he is really small still, 3 month old so looking inside his nose is tough since his head is tiny. And I am scared to hold his head since he seems so fragile.
    I know that it's normal for them to yawn sometimes but he does it really every day and that's where I am unsure if it's normal.
    He really seems healthy otherwise.
    His mouth looks clean.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekerk View Post
    Sign to look out for for ri

Wheezing/crackling breathing
    Elevated head position
    Visible mucus or bubbles
    Rubbing side of face on enclosure(when not in shed)

If none of these together probably just a yawn.

Nothing really. He just lifts his head and neck in a S position and looks at me when I am in front of the glass but I thought this to be normal.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    Nothing really. He just lifts his head and neck in a S position and looks at me when I am in front of the glass but I thought this to be normal.
    That is normal if he’s just looking at you I wouldn’t worry

Thanks
    @CakeLike: From what you've said, he's normal & healthy & nothing much you can do about his yawning, so you shouldn't worry. I'm just wondering when he's due for his next meal?

I have a hunch that maybe one of his teeth got loose & bent out of shape the last time he ate. If that's the case, it's likely to fall out with the next meal, so watch & see if he keeps yawning after the next time you feed him, okay? Something like a bent tooth would feel peculiar to him, & without hands, the only thing he can do is yawn, as snakes often do after they eat, just getting their mouth (teeth) realigned. As I said, this is just a guess on my part, but let us know if his yawning continues after the next time you feed him, okay? It might be that he'll stop yawning.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-02-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    @CakeLike: From what you've said, he's normal & healthy & nothing much you can do about his yawning, so you shouldn't worry. I'm just wondering when he's due for his next meal?

I have a hunch that maybe one of his teeth got loose & bent out of shape the last time he ate. If that's the case, it's likely to fall out with the next meal, so watch & see if he keeps yawning after the next time you feed him, okay? Something like a bent tooth would feel peculiar to him, & without hands, the only thing he can do is yawn, as snakes often do after they eat, just getting their mouth (teeth) realigned. As I said, this is just a guess on my part, but let us know if his yawning continues after the next time you feed him, okay? It might be that he'll stop yawning.

That's something I haven't heard yet. He ate Thursday. But he's been doing this since I have him, three weeks. And he's had three meals with me so far and it didn't seem to affect the yawning when his meal was.
    I suspect he is going too shed sometime soon since his color became dull, he has little flakes on his skin and his belly is pink. He hasn't shed since I've had him but I don't know if this could have something to do with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    That's something I haven't heard yet. He ate Thursday. But he's been doing this since I have him, three weeks. And he's had three meals with me so far and it didn't seem to affect the yawning when his meal was.
    I suspect he is going too shed sometime soon since his color became dull, he has little flakes on his skin and his belly is pink. He hasn't shed since I've had him but I don't know if this could have something to do with it.
    Okay, so if he was doing this from the start & he's eaten several times with you, that's probably not it.

Shedding IS another time they may yawn- that's to loosen the old skin around their mouth so it comes off with the rest of the shed. But that's normally only right before they actually shed. I have no idea why he'd be yawning for this long a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast