Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,919

1 members and 2,918 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Biter

Thanks

Biter

I just got an about 6 week old Lemon Blast female ball, I have had many other balls throughout the years, but none like this. She's only about 80 grams and 12-15 inches long. I went to pick her up and the breeder whom I bought her from showed me that it was indeed a female. Right after he showed me she tried to bite him. When I got home I took her out of her bag to put her in her enclosure, she tried to bite me 3 times. I put her in her enclosure and she struck at me through the glass. I have probably had 10 balls and 2 red tailed boas, I have never had one even try to bite me I had one of my balls hiss at me when I touched his nose during she'd, but that's it. Could she possibly be hungry the breeder said he fed her a 15g hoppers every week, and he fed her Tuesday or Wednesday this week. I am no expert but 15g does not seem big enough. Is there anyway of breaking her from biting. I am one of those owners that I handle them a lot. Could it possibly be she just has to get acclimated. I appreciate any advice anyone could give me, remember I said I was by far no expert, but I am wanting to learn. Thank you in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Have you told her to stop?

I kid, I kid!!!

Probably just stressed. New people, traveling, new home, new smells.

Could just be a tad defensive though too. May just need time to figure out you are not a threat. I have had several biters when they were young.....no Balls but others. They all settle down with routine handling. Main thing is do not show fear and do not put it back just because it tags you. Try to end handling sessions on good notes after several minutes of not getting signs of aggression.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Check your msgs. Ya gotta give me time to respond, sheesh!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Keep in mind, snakes have their own personalities- if you're patient, many biters can be some of the coolest & friendliest of pets...IF you treat them right so they learn not to fear you. The trick is helping snakes understand that they are SAFE with us, & there ARE ways to do this. First, I'll repeat some of my pm: > > >

Biting baby snakes: very normal! Snakes rely on instincts to survive, & the ONLY thing in nature that normally picks them up is a predator about to EAT them. So while some label a biting snake as "aggressive", that's false...they're just defending themselves from an unknown giant (us)! Some snakes are mellower than others, & when you've bought them in the past, were already handled a bit by the breeder- some learn faster than others too, as to whether or not we're dangerous. Be patient- try to imagine being one inch tall & being picked up by something 500+ times your size...think you'd be okay with that? No way.

Sure, she might be hungry too, but mostly, this is self defense. If you plan on breeding or even keeping more snakes, you should plan on getting bites. Don't get me wrong, most are avoidable. Mostly when we read their body language correctly, and approach them in ways so they don't feel threatened. This gets discussed a lot, I cannot repeat it all here, but you will get better at this with practice. Actually I'd rather have baby snakes that bite, because they usually also eat. And baby snakes don't hurt much- by the time they get big enough to do damage, they no longer want to bite me. But you don't want to "break her from biting" or you'll have a stressed & probably dead snake. She's just being a snake, as best she knows how- you are a "big ugly predator" in her eyes, remember that. Be patient & considerate, most snakes learn, & relax. If you were planning on only breeding snakes that don't bite, you may as well quit now, lol.

Feeding is job #1, btw- don't handle OR try to "tame" a new snake until they have time to settle in, & preferably not until they've eaten at least 3-5 times for you. It's no fun having a snake that won't eat & just goes downhill from stress- stress hurts their immune system too, so it puts them at risk of actually getting sick.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (10-02-2021)