Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,052

1 members and 3,051 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Hi! Having trouble keeping the cage the right temp. since I have plastic hides!

Hi all! My female (close to 4 feet and not fully grown) ball python is in a 40 gallon but will soon be moved to a 75 gallon bioactive enclosure. Right now she is using those black plastic tub hides (very popular hides for breeders especially) and they work great except for 2 issues...

1. The ambient temperature should be a little warmer overall in her enclosure but I don't think I can use a heat lamp like I have in the past with my other hides because they could melt I've read. She has a heat mat but I need the ambient to be 80-85 instead of 78-79.

2. My ball python loves some to go anywhere and everywhere. She will fit in places and push something over that you wouldn't think she could, and she loves to push around these hides all over the place and dig under them which ends in a snoot full of dirt (very annoying for me to dig out). So Is there a way to make the hides more secure/not so loose, I know that is difficult. I guess if you have theses light-weight hides what do you do?

What are ya'lls thoughts on those...any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    What are the actual dimensions of the 75 g. enclosure? Length, width & height?

"Black plastic tub hides"? Are you talking about Reptile Basics hides? https://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes https://www.reptilebasics.com/images...umbs/lhide.jpg
    I'm not aware of them "melting easily" (or EVER!) & use them myself- it would take heat at the level that would harm your snake to do so, I believe.

So I'm assuming you're using like "fast food containers" as hides? It's time to upgrade: Reptile Basics (or other sources) make excellent hides that hold up well + have more weight to them. Fast food containers belong either in the trash (if dirty) or in the recycling bin, IMO.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-28-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-29-2021),EL-Ziggy (09-29-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Yeah I haven't heard of melting issues either..... Using proper hides that is. I have many and have had lights and RHPs over them without issue.

Also 78-79 is not terrible as a ambient temp. My snake room will often be at those temps. Personally I prefer it. That is as long as you have a proper hotspot. Even those for me are set to 85 though. I like to have some wiggle room just in case I have a heat surge. I do love in south Texas.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (09-29-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I run my Reptile Basics hides through the dishwasher and they don't melt, so I doubt your heat lamps will get them hot enough to melt.

Thanks

Re: Hi! Having trouble keeping the cage the right temp. since I have plastic hides!

Hi! Ok, thank you! Yes, I'm sorry. I didn't clarify but I do use the Reptile Basics hides (fast food container hides would be concerning) for some reason people were saying online that a heat lamp could potentially melt them but It could have been over-cautioned concerns. Thank you and I will continue to use my heat lamp.

Also, to answer your question, I don't have the 75 gallon yet (I just know I want It to be glass...I've tried a tub but my ball python gets stressed in it because she can't see out. I cover the back of the glass and both sides with a backdrop and leave the front open so she has some privacy though) but the 75 gallons I have found seem to be very long and very skinny. If anyone has any good places online to shop for good 75 gallons will you link it or let me know? Thanks again!
    Last edited by Claire&snek; 09-29-2021 at 09:22 AM.