Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

2 members and 3,225 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Cover on LED Light Won't Stay On?

I own an Animal Plastics T8 and recently the fluorescent bulb which came with it died out. So I replaced the bulb with an LED bulb, which works fine. However, ever since I changed the bulb, the light cover will not stay on. And, considering this is a snake tank, it's not like I can just tape it shut.

I've been keeping the bulb bare, since the cover won't stay on and I don't want Virgil crawling over it. But is that an okay long-term solution? Or is there a way I can reattach the cover, but not permanently, for when the bulb eventually goes dark again?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    My AP tank has a led strip so I don't know what you're dealing with to make any suggestions. Got a pic?

First fix that comes to mind is going back to the regular bulb type, or maybe a thinner led version.... If that's the issue..
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Cover on LED Light Won't Stay On?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    My AP tank has a led strip so I don't know what you're dealing with to make any suggestions. Got a pic?

First fix that comes to mind is going back to the regular bulb type, or maybe a thinner led version.... If that's the issue..

Here's a (rather large) photo. I should have thought of including one in the beginning!

The LED bulb is exactly the length and diameter as the former fluorescent bulb. It's a GE Color Select Technology 15 Watt EQ 18-inch Linear Type A LED Tube bulb meant to replace a normal F15t8/Ww fluorescent bulb. I wish I had gone with an LED strip when I bought the tank in 2018, but, alas, I was a fool back then.

The cover pops right over the top...and then falls off after a random amount of time (about an hour?). Has a habit of leaving behind tiny little flecks of plastic, which get into Virgil's water. Cleaned the tank each time that happened since I assume little plastic bits and snakes don't mix. After the cover fell off five or so times no matter how I popped it in, I decided to ask the forum for advice.

Thanks
    I've got some similar to that. Those can be tricky as they get older they get brittle and do not flex like they once did. Mine have to go on the way they came off to fit snug.

Make sure your have tried it both ways. If you find it snaps in place use a marker to dot the cover and the fixture so you know which way to put it on next time.

Personally I don't think I would run it without the cover. Not that I think much will happen. I just don't think it's worth the chance. I would simply turn it off and buy a new fixture. Maybe it's time to add a led strip. They're cheap on Amazon.
    KMG

Thanks

Re: Cover on LED Light Won't Stay On?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I've got some similar to that. Those can be tricky as they get older they get brittle and do not flex like they once did. Mine have to go on the way they came off to fit snug.

Make sure your have tried it both ways. If you find it snaps in place use a marker to dot the cover and the fixture so you know which way to put it on next time.

Personally I don't think I would run it without the cover. Not that I think much will happen. I just don't think it's worth the chance. I would simply turn it off and buy a new fixture. Maybe it's time to add a led strip. They're cheap on Amazon.
    I'll give that a shot, thanks.

I'm hoping I won't need to replace the fixture, as the tank has been put together for years now and the opening for the cord is tight and small. Ordering and installing a brand new LED strip would be a lot of time and effort I simply don't have at the moment. I'd rather juryrig a safe solution for now and chase a more permanent, pleasing solution when life stops throwing me curveballs.

Thanks
    When it comes to taking the light out just remove the fixture and cut the cord do you can easily pull it out without the plug attached. Unless you want it for something else..

Then buy a led strip that has a smaller round plug. You may need to drill the hole out just a little but not much. That will let you install it with little effort and without taking anything apart.

Hopefully trying the cover both ways will work.
    KMG

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, you could replace the fluorescent unit with a one piece LED. You would have to unscrew an remove the old unit. Enclosed LED is under $20. It will last 20+ years. If the T8 is routed out you could install a rope LED. You still have to remove the old fluorescent unit to see if it's routed out. Removing the top of the T8 makes doing whatever easy. It's just a few screws an push the top up.

On the LED replacement fluorescent tube. Did you have to remove the ballast an direct wire it or was it the style that keeps the ballast?

The wire hole being tight. Easy, as said run the cord then install the plug. That's how the T8's came. Need the hole bigger? Cheap drill bit or a step bit that's $4 at Harbor Freight. After running the cord caulk the new hole if needed.

Reattaching the old light cover? Can you put a small screw in it? Predrill a hole an zip tie it? Caulk?

Good luck!