Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,983

1 members and 2,982 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Why sold in pairs?

Why do some breeders only sell M/F pairs? I can speculate all day, but wanted to know why many of the rare snakes are only sold off in pairs from the same litter. If the thought is for them to be breeding pairs, then is it really safe to match up litter mates?

For those of you who really wanted a single, but could only find a pair - Did you buy both and sell/trade the other or just keep the extra +1?

Thanks

Re: Why sold in pairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    Why do some breeders only sell M/F pairs? I can speculate all day, but wanted to know why many of the rare snakes are only sold off in pairs from the same litter. If the thought is for them to be breeding pairs, then is it really safe to match up litter mates?

For those of you who really wanted a single, but could only find a pair - Did you buy both and sell/trade the other or just keep the extra +1?
    Because rare species need to be bred more, they dont need to be sold in singles as pets as that doesnt help the preservation of the species. Now a lot of breeders will sell a single if you talk to them and you already have half of the pair but otherwise it's better to sell in pairs. And as for breeding, reptiles can inbreed for a little while before it affects anything. Yes it's better to mix bloodlines to make new blood and decrease inbreeding but sometimes that's not always possible with some species. The ideal situation would be you buy the pair and switch one half with someone else to better each others blood, but it's not the end of the world if you have to breed siblings together.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The-ReptiRanch For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-23-2021),Hugsplox (09-23-2021),Nick_MD (09-23-2021),nikkubus (09-23-2021),plateOfFlan (11-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    And it's also because breeders don't want to be stuck with solo males after others looking to breed only want to buy up the "more desired" females for their own breeding project.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (09-23-2021),Hugsplox (09-23-2021),nikkubus (09-23-2021),PitOnTheProwl (09-24-2021),plateOfFlan (11-13-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And it's also because breeders don't want to be stuck with solo males after others looking to breed only want to buy up the "more desired" females for their own breeding project.
    This as well. It's soooooo much harder to sell males than females. Earlier this year I had 4.7 albino blood pythons and everyone wanted females. Never had a single person ask about males. I ended up having to wholesale them

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The-ReptiRanch For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-23-2021),Hugsplox (09-23-2021),nikkubus (09-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The-ReptiRanch View Post
    This as well. It's soooooo much harder to sell males than females. Earlier this year I had 4.7 albino blood pythons and everyone wanted females. Never had a single person ask about males. I ended up having to wholesale them

That's just so frustrating.

Thanks

That's just so frustrating.
    For sure, but it was also a bad time of year. Everyone had already just spent all their stimulus and tax return money and had nothing left to spend

Thanks

I'd figure this would drive selling single males, but condition it that if you bought a female you also have to buy a male. In my case, it was the male that I really wanted but had to buy both. It's fine as I have the capacity, but I was only really looking for the one. Now I've got two and options...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    I'd figure this would drive selling single males, but condition it that if you bought a female you also have to buy a male. In my case, it was the male that I really wanted but had to buy both. It's fine as I have the capacity, but I was only really looking for the one. Now I've got two and options...

It sometimes comes down to the individual breeder- what gender they have a surplus of- as to whether or not they want to sell singles. Oh well, what's one more snake...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-23-2021),AutumnVanilla (09-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I've never sold only in pairs, but I have offered slight discounts for pairs and trios.

When my retics breed, I will definitely be listing them as 1.1 pairs and a discussion may persuade me to sell singles. Part of it is encouraging pure locality breeding, but part is discouraging SD males to mainland females. I can't prevent it if that's what people want to do, but I can at least make it harder for them to waste pure locale SDs on that. I was on a wait list for years before I got mine, and plenty of people just like me are patiently waiting because they want pure locale.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-23-2021),Hugsplox (09-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanks for the context everyone. Feels like one of those good problems where you end up with 2 snakes instead of 1. The price point was a little too good to argue with since the 2nd one was basically half price.

I especially get the sentiment about encouraging the "pure locality breeding" as that certainly applies in this case of Barranquilla Boas. One of the options is give it a try in 4-5 years when they're ready, but I personally have no experience with reptile breeding and it feels a little odd getting nudged in that direction. Plenty of time to warm up to the idea though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (09-24-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast