Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

0 members and 2,937 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: New bp, first shed with me but also feeding time

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Just an important clarification here that's really easy for anyone to goof on:

Our body temperatures are about 98.6*, which is warmer than a BP (or any snake I can think of) should ever be. So while you don't want to immerse your poor snake in COLD water, please use a thermometer to check the temperature BEFORE you put a snake into it, because your hand won't think the water is warm unless it's OVER 98.6*- or in other words, unless it's TOO HOT. "Luke-warm" to us is TOO warm for a snake- please don't trust your hand to tell what's safe.

If & when you ever need to soak a snake, you want the water temperature to be about 77*-85*, and no warmer, for their safety & well-being. Remember it's very hard for a snake to express discomfort- it's up to us to keep them safe. (Incidentally this is also why our snakes always "feel cold" to us.)
    As someone with a huge aquarium, I've gotten used to water feeling "cold" to the touch as I keep mine at 75F and with how convoluted water changes are with it (linking multiple hoses from the basement to the main floor since none of the sink faucets can be attached to for some reason) I've had to learn how to judge temperature that way.

Of course, I still utilized an actual digital thermometer when I had to give my BP soaks after his bad shed to ensure it was a cozy 80F.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    No worries. Snakes generally don't (and in fact shouldn't) eat while in the shed cycle, as it's a taxing time for them that takes energy and moisture to accomplish, which btw, make sure the humidity is bumped up in his enclosure at this time if it isn't already to ensure the shed goes smoothly (80% or so). To put it in our perspective, imagine wearing very tight-fitting clothes you have to squirm out of over the course of a week or so. You probably wouldn't want to eat a full course meal during such an ordeal either.

And keep in mind, BPs can, and often do, go months without eating at times, so a few more days without food won't do him any harm.
    Fed one of my albinos in shed didn’t notice she was in shed had the worst shedding experience of her life. Literally came off in pieces. Always had perfect sheds from her but this was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Oh that's super good to know thank you!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12