Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,274

1 members and 1,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Forgot frozen rats in car all day

Hahaaa….
    I got the rats at 11pm, and I remembered them at 4am and put them in the freezer. It’s been quite cold here (4 Celsius to 16 Celsius) and the rats were thawed but still cold when I remembered them.
    are they still good? The bag of rats was $45 and I really don’t want to throw away my money like that :/

I have a couple weeks till I have to use them, idk if that helps at all

Thanks

Re: Forgot frozen rats in car all day

Being thawed, I personally wouldn't chance it. Vet bill would be higher than the cost to replace the rats

Thanks

We've had our snakes a few years now.

I've always gone by something I read on here back when we started. My rule is you can thaw and refreeze once and only once after that toss it. If they were fairly cold I would say you're good. We've stuck by that rule and often put a rat back in the freezer if refused on the first offering. If refused a second time, out it goes. We have not had to take either beep to the vet for any reason.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnVanilla View Post
    Being thawed, I personally wouldn't chance it. Vet bill would be higher than the cost to replace the rats
    What’s so bad about them? Unless they are dangerously decomposed?
    I kinda feel like people are treating snakes like humans, but a human cannot eat a raw rat whole- wouldnt they have digestive systems that can deal with a little bit of bad bacteria?
    Don’t snakes in the wild eat dead rodents that they come across?

I don’t want to risk it either way, but this just got me thinking a bit haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slseals1969 View Post
    We've had our snakes a few years now.

I've always gone by something I read on here back when we started. My rule is you can thaw and refreeze once and only once after that toss it. If they were fairly cold I would say you're good. We've stuck by that rule and often put a rat back in the freezer if refused on the first offering. If refused a second time, out it goes. We have not had to take either beep to the vet for any reason.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    How long is the rodent thawed for though? Do you leave the rodent in the snakes cage all day or just a couple hours and then refreeze?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MowgliPups View Post
    from Boger's post in this thread: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ht=rats+thawed

I just personally wouldn't risk it, but if you feel they are fine, that is up to you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AutumnVanilla For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MowgliPups View Post
    I kinda feel like people are treating snakes like humans, but a human cannot eat a raw rat whole- wouldnt they have digestive systems that can deal with a little bit of bad bacteria?
    Don’t snakes in the wild eat dead rodents that they come across?

I don’t want to risk it either way, but this just got me thinking a bit haha
    SOME snakes will eat carrion in the wild- BPs are not known to do so. King snakes & indigo snakes are some that probably would.

For anyone else that "thinks in Fahrenheit", the temperatures referenced are roughly 40*-60* F -quite warm. If kept at 40*, that's like being in the refrigerator- not too bad, especially since they started as frozen. But 60*? The box obviously wasn't very insulated, so I'd say they're garbage, sorry. Here's the thing: (to quote myself https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=1#post2762743 )

Prey such as frozen rats need to stay frozen- otherwise there's a loss in quality- even if technically safe enough to feed, your snake can only eat one right now. When you re-freeze them, then try to thaw & feed them later, they turn to mush, may split apart when the snake grabs (bites or constricts) them, & may also be spoiled. Freezing doesn't kill the bacteria in the rodent's GI tract- it just keeps it from growing. All bets are off once they are thawed- that's why we don't re-freeze & re-offer rodents that a snake happens to reject.

In the future, you should make a habit of transporting frozen food in an ice chest- then a little forgetfulness won't cost you so much, at least not so quickly.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-21-2021),e_nigma (09-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I think they’re probably good to use and I’d freeze them. I’d also thaw one and feed ASAP. If any of them smell foul when you thaw them then toss them. If a snake regurges after eating one, I’d toss the whole lot of them.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 09-21-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO