Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

1 members and 2,862 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New BP owner

Thanks

Smile New BP owner

Hello all!

This last Friday me and my wife got our first ball python from a local pet store. I did research for about 3 months before deciding what kind of snake I wanted to get. because I wanted to try and make sure that I was well educated on how to take care of one. Her name is Latte and she is 2-3 months old. She is a Pinstripe Morph, although I've questioned maybe she has Spider in her too? Maybe someone could give us insight on that?

It took a good week before I got the temps and humidity steady in the terrarium we got her. Because it was on sale we decided to get the Exo-Terra 36x18x12 terrarium. And as I knew from research it was hard to regulate the temp because of the mesh top and the glass. So I insulated the sides and back with 1/4" PVC board, and covered most of the top with foil tape. After doing both of those things I have been able to keep the temp and humidity steady right where it should be. I have a heat lamp with a 100W CHE over the hot side as well as a 12x8 Zoo-Med heat mat under the hot side. I keep the water dish right under the heat lamp to help with humidity, and it works very well. The heat lamp is on a dimmer and the mat is on a thermostat. I have thermometers on both sides and a hygrometer in the middle.

This past Friday, a week after we got her, we got to feed her for the first time. And she ate that mouse so fast it didn't even have a chance for it's back legs to hit the ground out of the box it was in! She had it grabbed and wrapped in a split second! It was so cool and so rewarding after all the hard work I put into making her terrarium suit her well. I was afraid she wasn't going to eat after all I read about them being finicky eaters.

Last night, two days after feeding her, we got to finally hold her for the first time since we got her. And so far she seems mostly relaxed. She hasn't hissed or threatened to bite at all. She just seems a little weary of our hands when they move. She is really really cool!

I am posting pictures of her and her terrarium and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions if any.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    I'd suggest moving the tape and putting it over the top of the screen, not underneath it. You never want any type of adhesive in with a snake, because should the event happen where a strip of tape falls down and the snake gets caught in it, it can very easily damage its scales if not have them get completely torn off.

I'd also suggest getting another of the same type of log hide to put on both ends of the enclosure. It's always a good idea to have two identical hides so the snake can freely choose the temperature gradient without having to be picky about what type of hide it'd prefer to be in at that time (they'll nearly always choose security over temperature otherwise).

Beyond those little tidbits though, you seem to be doing a splendid job.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (09-20-2021)

Thanks

Re: New BP owner

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I'd suggest moving the tape and putting it over the top of the screen, not underneath it. You never want any type of adhesive in with a snake, because should the event happen where a strip of tape falls down and the snake gets caught in it, it can very easily damage its scales if not have them get completely torn off.

I'd also suggest getting another of the same type of log hide to put on both ends of the enclosure. It's always a good idea to have two identical hides so the snake can freely choose the temperature gradient without having to be picky about what type of hide it'd prefer to be in at that time (they'll nearly always choose security over temperature otherwise).

Beyond those little tidbits though, you seem to be doing a splendid job.
    I put it inside because I felt like the adhesive side facing down would be a bad idea just in case there was condensation buildup and it dripped into the enclosure with traces of the adhesive glue. Maybe I'm overthinking it?

And the log that's on the left is the warm side, and the other attached to the wall of the terrarium is on the cool side, and she can get under it or inside of it as a second hide. She moves between them as she feels the need to.

Thank you for the feedback

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jslantz94 View Post
    I put it inside because I felt like the adhesive side facing down would be a bad idea just in case there was condensation buildup and it dripped into the enclosure with traces of the adhesive glue. Maybe I'm overthinking it?

And the log that's on the left is the warm side, and the other attached to the wall of the terrarium is on the cool side, and she can get under it or inside of it as a second hide. She moves between them as she feels the need to.

Good point. You could perhaps put one layer nonstick side down and have the other layer on top of it (so they're taped to each other) and make it slightly longer to attach to the edges of the lid, so the condensation only touches the nonstick side.

And ah, I see. All good then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Good point. You could perhaps put one layer nonstick side down and have the other layer on top of it (so they're taped to each other) and make it slightly longer to attach to the edges of the lid, so the condensation only touches the nonstick side.

And ah, I see. All good then.
    Okay that's a good idea, thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Google pictures of snakes and tape. You will be removing it like lightning. It is never a good idea to use tape inside the cage. It can really harm and even easily kill the snake. Imagine it getting stuck on it and while trying to get off covers its mouth and nose. That is probably game over unless you find it quick.....but then how do you get it off without ripping scales off?

Cut some carboard to fit each square and cover them in foil. Then you simply set them on top of the screen. They can then be easily removed while giving better insulation and humidity control while in use.
    Last edited by KMG; 09-20-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (09-21-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Google pictures of snakes and tape. You will be removing it like lightning. It is never a good idea to use tape inside the cage. It can really harm and even easily kill the snake. Imagine it getting stuck on it and while trying to get off covers its mouth and nose. That is probably game over unless you find it quick.....but then how do you get it off without ripping scales off?

Cut some carboard to fit each square and cover them in foil. Then you simply set them on top of the screen. They can then be easily removed while giving better insulation and humidity control while in use.
    I have more of the PVC board, I will cut that to fit the screen and cover it in foil. Thank you!

Thanks

I have more of the PVC board, I will cut that to fit the screen and cover it in foil. Thank you!
    That would work great and really I don't think I would cover it in foil. The only reason I suggested it with carboard is to keep it from absorbing the moisture. I think pvc cubes would look clean on top.
    KMG

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    That would work great and really I don't think I would cover it in foil. The only reason I suggested it with carboard is to keep it from absorbing the moisture. I think pvc cubes would look clean on top.
    Oh okay I see what you are saying, yeah it would look clean. I guess my only concern would be the heat on the PVC sheets from the lamp. Do you think that it would release chemicals if heated?

Thanks

Oh okay I see what you are saying, yeah it would look clean. I guess my only concern would be the heat on the PVC sheets from the lamp. Do you think that it would release chemicals if heated?
    Not knowing exactly what you are using I can not say 100% but my guess would be everything would be fine.

I would cut them just like you have the tape....unless you can make a nice circle cut to match the lamp shade. The pvc sitting beside the lamp should not create any issues.
    KMG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast