Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

1 members and 2,970 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very cold

Thanks

Very cold

I have a warm side and a cool side for my ball python but I'm finding he's always spending his time on the cool side these days and when I go to handle him he's cold as ice, why is he choosing the cooler side over the warm side when it's making him so cold? He's eating fine he just ate for me about an hour or so ago and I checked his mouth to see if he has an RI and it seems all clear. Please help

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    What are your warm and cool side temperatures?

Thanks

Re: Very cold

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    What are your warm and cool side temperatures?
    The warm side is around 34 degrees and the cool side is 21 degrees Celsius and it's pretty hard to keep the cool side from getting too cold because I live in a pretty cold climate and the radiator doesn't work in my room

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn. View Post
    The warm side is around 34 degrees and the cool side is 21 degrees Celsius and it's pretty hard to keep the cool side from getting too cold because I live in a pretty cold climate and the radiator doesn't work in my room
    I'd say it's because the warm side is a little too HOT (you want the warm side not over 31*-32* C) & the cool side is a bit TOO cool (you want it above 23*-24* C).

So if that requires a second heat source -ON A THERMOSTAT-please! -then that's what you need to do to keep him healthy "in a cold climate". BPs aren't the most practical snakes to keep in a cold house, but if you work at getting it right, you can be successful.

As far as him FEELING cold to you when you pick him up, that's a whole other thing that won't really change. Because snakes ALWAYS "feel" cold to us, since our bodies function at 37* C- and that makes it hard to judge just by "feel", so always use an accurate method of measuring the temperatures too. (I'm assuming you already do.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-19-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    I've been wondering something similar. My BP stays on his cool side nearly exclusively ever since he moved to the tub. His hides on both ends are the same, it's the perfect gradient of 90 on the hot side, 80 in the middle and mid 70's on the cool end. Maybe just because the weather's still warm here (even in the basement) so he doesn't feel the need for extra warmth at this time?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I've been wondering something similar. My BP stays on his cool side nearly exclusively ever since he moved to the tub. His hides on both ends are the same, it's the perfect gradient of 90 on the hot side, 80 in the middle and mid 70's on the cool end. Maybe just because the weather's still warm here (even in the basement) so he doesn't feel the need for extra warmth at this time?
    The OP's "hot side" is a bit over 93*- which IS too warm- & that's assuming that the temperatures are accurate as taken- but what if they're a bit off?

If you're offering "the perfect gradient" then it's not the same thing- snakes know what they need & when they need it. They manage to survive in the wild by slowing their metabolism according to the seasons & availability of food. It may be that there is less light in his "tub", & right now the day lengths ARE getting visibly shorter, indicating to snakes that fall is here & winter won't be far behind, so maybe it's time to think less about eating. It's thought that snakes pay attention not only to temperatures but also day-lengths, which is why they should always be provided a "photo-period".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    The OP's "hot side" is a bit over 93*- which IS too warm- & that's assuming that the temperatures are accurate as taken- but what if they're a bit off?

If you're offering "the perfect gradient" then it's not the same thing- snakes know what they need & when they need it. They manage to survive in the wild by slowing their metabolism according to the seasons & availability of food. It may be that there is less light in his "tub", & right now the day lengths ARE getting visibly shorter, indicating to snakes that fall is here & winter won't be far behind, so maybe it's time to think less about eating. It's thought that snakes pay attention not only to temperatures but also day-lengths, which is why they should always be provided a "photo-period".
    That's something else I've been curious about (and I'm terribly sorry for going off topic). How is it that a tropical species reacts in a similar fashion to seasonal changes that a more temperate species would? Is it some sort of overall instinctual behavior that can be applied to their native range that's been repurposed (wet/dry seasons for example)? Or have they adapted over time from being bred in captivity and react accordingly to seasonal changes of other regions? If not a bit of both.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd say it's because the warm side is a little too HOT (you want the warm side not over 31*-32* C) & the cool side is a bit TOO cool (you want it above 23*-24* C).

So if that requires a second heat source -ON A THERMOSTAT-please! -then that's what you need to do to keep him healthy "in a cold climate". BPs aren't the most practical snakes to keep in a cold house, but if you work at getting it right, you can be successful.

As far as him FEELING cold to you when you pick him up, that's a whole other thing that won't really change. Because snakes ALWAYS "feel" cold to us, since our bodies function at 37* C- and that makes it hard to judge just by "feel", so always use an accurate method of measuring the temperatures too. (I'm assuming you already do.)
    Thank you so much I'll get my other heat mat and thermostat now and do what you suggested I really appreciate you help!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dawn. For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    That's something else I've been curious about (and I'm terribly sorry for going off topic). How is it that a tropical species reacts in a similar fashion to seasonal changes that a more temperate species would? Is it some sort of overall instinctual behavior that can be applied to their native range that's been repurposed (wet/dry seasons for example)? Or have they adapted over time from being bred in captivity and react accordingly to seasonal changes of other regions? If not a bit of both.
    Assuming captive snakes are being provided their natural temperature range to begin with, I think they instinctively react to temperature, humidity & light cues- and they never look at calendars.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

How old is your snake and how long have you had him? If your snake is eating and otherwise seems healthy then what’s the worry? They’re cold blooded animals so they will be cold to our touch. As long as they have a proper thermal gradient they will move between climate zones as they see fit. I have several snakes that only use their warm sides when they’re digesting a meal. I do agree that your hot side is a little high and your cool side is a little low but neither are life threatening. Snakes are often exposed to higher and lower temps but an 88/75 gradient would be better.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast