Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

2 members and 3,106 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Kingsnake Attacking Himself: I Don't Know What Else To Do

After we did antibiotics, no one said anything about probiotics to me at the vet. I am most likely going to have to contact my vet this week about his problems and if it is necessary to bring him in.

About the tail painting, I won't be home on the weekdays and able to do that everyday. I am willing to try it, but it seems like a quick fix for an underlying problem and I'd hope to stop whatever is causing him to do it in the first place.

Also, he is starting his shed cycle, so he should be sleeping more and won't be attacking himself.
    - Kaylee

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mopuim View Post
    After we did antibiotics, no one said anything about probiotics to me at the vet. I am most likely going to have to contact my vet this week about his problems and if it is necessary to bring him in.

About the tail painting, I won't be home on the weekdays and able to do that everyday. I am willing to try it, but it seems like a quick fix for an underlying problem and I'd hope to stop whatever is causing him to do it in the first place.

Also, he is starting his shed cycle, so he should be sleeping more and won't be attacking himself.
    Whether human or animal, always consider that probiotics may be helpful after a course of antibiotics (especially after multiple courses); snakes don't eat yogurt or other fermented foods that provide naturally-occurring probiotics, so adding probiotics* can be helpful to restore the snake's "good" gut bacteria they need to digest well. *Only use those formulated for snakes, such as Nutribac or Bene-Bac. As a few of us speculated, it might be that his digestion is now deficient & he's missing some key nutrients. It's something that personally I would try, anyway. No guarantee. You could try adding reptile vitamins too- the easiest way is to install the powder in the f/t rodent's oral cavity (mouth); if you just dust it on the damp rodent, most of it falls off as they swallow it.

I don't think you'd need to "tail-paint" on a daily basis, unless he routinely soaks in his water bowl (that would wash it off). I think once it's dry it should be good for 5 days, or thereabouts. Again, can't guarantee, but worth a try. Since this seems to occur when he's hungry & not in shed, have you considered washing him off with water & a drop of mild soap after he eats? Just to make sure no rodent scent remains on his body for him to over-react to later, when he's hungry again? You did say he's very hyper about food, as are many king snakes- at least the ones I've known.

I'd try all these things before euthanasia- that's a sad last resort, if he's truly in some kind of internal pain. I would try to rule other things out first, & I'm glad we could "brainstorm" this a bit here.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-19-2021 at 01:54 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (09-19-2021)

Thanks

It might help now that he's getting back on his regular feeding schedule. I'm going to talk with my vet about all of this and figure out if it is necessary to bring him in. I'm really hoping it's something with an easy fix. I appreciate all the help and I'll try all I can to make sure he can feel better, if possible.
    - Kaylee

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    If you try adding some sort of herb or spice to add scent to the Vetericyn-rub, let's just hope he's not a "gourmet"?

Seriously, we're all hoping for the best with your snake - it's a very unusual problem & very shocking to find your snake has bloodied himself this way.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (09-19-2021),TofuTofuTofu (09-19-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12