Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

3 members and 3,318 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: BP still wont eat f/t

If you’re pulling your f/t mice from a box it sounds like they might be coming from a pet store. If that’s the case, I’ve seen some pretty icky pet store feeders too, and you should consider finding a local or online supplier. My f/t feeders always look healthy and robust. If you want to stick with feeding live that’s certainly an option, it wouldn’t be the end of the world, but it’s usually a bit more expensive than feeding f/t and you may have to feed small-medium rats, or 2-3 mice, per serving. If you really want to transition her to f/t it may take some time and tough love. I’m a firm believer that the hunger always wins in the end and have adopted more of an eat or starve philosophy with my snakes. I’ve had a few stubborn holdouts, BPs being the worst of them, which is a major reason I don’t keep BPs anymore, but they ALL eat eventually.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-20-2021)

Thanks

thanks a lot for the step by step feed process. Ive had my B.P for about 7-8 months, she is around 325g now. I bought my frozen food at one of the big chain pet stores, it is made by Artic Mice in a blue and white box, they did not have a lot of fur, maybe they were in the freezer too long? There is another pet store near me that sells frozen ice/rats without a box so i can see more of what im buying. I do have a temperature gun but i question how accurate it is? I usually go 2 weeks between feeds, when she starts to get hungry, she pops her head to the front of her hide, so thats a dead giveaway that she's hungry. The last time i tried to feed her i did use a blow dryer but not my Temp gun, i forgot i had it, what a idiot i am sometimes..The bathroom where i prep the mice is like your is, the cage is about 10-15 feet away, so i dont have to worry about the mouse becoming cold before it hits the cage..I usually let the mouse defrost in the plastic that it comes in on the sink, no water in cup or nothing like that. the snake is pretty established, she eats live mice within a minute after i drop it, so shes not starving, my cage set up is good, thanks to the people who helped me earlier in the year on this website. Ok i will do your step by step this weekend, and see what happens, thanks again

Thanks

thanks for the info, i just worry about a live rat in there with her, i do what is recommended, by feeding the rat before i drop her in the cage so that it aint hungry and bite my BP, before she can fly out of her hide and do the wrap around thing on it, so far so good as bites go..Why did you stop owning BP"s, just curious if you dont mind? thanks again

Thanks
    I've only ever used frozen-thawed, but like nearly every BP owner on the planet, have experienced the eating dry spell.

Not much worries me more with the BP's than when they go off their food, even when it's expected around breeding season (with my small collection).

But when I am concerned over an eating habit, or lack of more accurately, I will introduce multis just to try and reignite the feeding instinct.

Multis are native to Africa and haven't failed me yet. I've also read gerbils are like candy to a baby with BP's but have never had to get to that point.

So what may be worth a consideration is just getting her used to frozen-thawed, whether that be something like gerbils or multis, something she'll find hard to resist, and once established on frozen-thawed, try to introduce normal rats when you feel it is the right time.

Hope this helps.
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    I've also read gerbils are like candy to a baby with BP's but have never had to get to that point.
    I've read the same but would exercise some caution if going that route. I've heard from a few keepers that BPs will get hooked on gerbils and refuse any other feeders. Since gerbils are a bit more expensive than rats as they're not typically sold as feeders, you may end up with a bit more expense for upkeep than if you were still feeding rats. Also if you ever needed to rehome your snake for any reason other keepers may be hesitant to take it if all it'll take are gerbils.

Nutritionally I don't know if there's much of a difference, but would rather someone with more knowledge on the subject comment. My only concern would be that while you could get her eating regularly which is the goal regardless of cost, does she then refuse any other feeder and make you buy gerbils for the next 30+ years.

Also just to add after re-reading your initial post, rat fuzzies and pups are probably the size your BP is on currently. If you have issues feeding F/T feeding a live fuzzy or pup, with your supervision of course, shouldn't pose much if any risk to your snake. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 09-20-2021 at 11:56 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bleh (09-20-2021),Bogertophis (09-20-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I agree with Hugsplox ^ ^ ^ & incidentally, BPs love hamsters* too. But as with gerbils (& ASFs), that makes feeding your BP FAR more costly, & typically the BP may refuse to ever switch back to rats or mice; plus, hamsters tend to be less "lean" (not sure about gerbils) so they may promote unnecessary weight gain in a snake. (*I used to raise hamsters to supply local pet stores, so I had a surplus- that was back when I also kept BPs, as I no longer do. FYI, I didn't make a habit of feeding hamsters to the BPs I kept- I mixed up their meals, as I raised rats & mice too back then, but I can vouch for their ready acceptance of hamsters.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-20-2021),Hugsplox (09-20-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
    Ive had my B.P for about 7-8 months, she is around 325g now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Also just to add after re-reading your initial post, rat fuzzies and pups are probably the size your BP is on currently.
    I didn't see the approximate size at first, but I would have assumed she'd be on weaners by >300g?!

That being said, when I was collecting frozen rats the other day, I mentioned I may try my growing male on a size up soon, from large weaner to small rat, and the shop owner was telling me about a mate of his who only feeds his males large weaners and said they were massive... so whatever works for you and yours I suppose!!
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bleh For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (09-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    I didn't see the approximate size at first, but I would have assumed she'd be on weaners by >300g?!

That being said, when I was collecting frozen rats the other day, I mentioned I may try my growing male on a size up soon, from large weaner to small rat, and the shop owner was telling me about a mate of his who only feeds his males large weaners and said they were massive... so whatever works for you and yours I suppose!!
    I try to go by physical size rather than weight when picking feeders. You're probably right thinking a weaned rat would work here but I've followed Thomas' BP journey for awhile and I figured his BP might be a tad smaller so a pup might be a better option at first. Weaned rats are obviously an option too, but you just have to go off the size of your animal.

I'm always a little hestitant to offer feeder size advice because my store might sell a small rat that another store considers a weaned, or a medium that some other place might call a small, etc etc. Seems like every shop has a different opinion on what qualifies as a weaned/small/medium lol so I'd rather just go in and see myself.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-21-2021),Bleh (09-21-2021),Bogertophis (09-21-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12