Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,884

0 members and 2,884 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Help with identifying morphs

I need help to identify the morphs for this clutch. The father is a Mojave, and the mother is a Fire spinner (Pinstripe + Spider) according to the papers.
    I'm greatfull for any help

The whole clutch before the first shed, there is one Pinstripe (Bottom left) and one Jigsaw (Top left), but the three others I'm a little unsure about:

After first shed. This is a Spinner (pinstripe + spider), but is there also fire in it? Looks a lot like the mother (Fire spinner):

After first shed. This one is also Spinner (Pinstripe + spider), but I think it might also have Mojvae and Fire in it. Is that correct?

After first shed. This one is Spider, but is there also Mojave and/or Fire in it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I think Spinner, Fire Spinner, Mojave Spider. First of the three looks too dark to have Fire or Mojave. Second is pretty bright but I don't think bright enough to have Fire and Mojave, and it looks more Fire to me than Mojave with bright dorsal.... it's a tough call on that one for me though, I might be wrong and it's Mojave Spinner with a weak Mojave that doesn't turn blacks into bronzey shades as much and doesn't have a strong effect on side pattern which is already hard to see in a Spinner. Third one is light enough in the sides and has enough squeezing the side pattern towards the bottom that I suspect a weak Mojave. There is also a classic Mojave Spider headstamp. The dorsal isn't super bright like it should be for a Fire.

Hope that helps, I know it's not super definitive but I'm pretty sure.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

dastrand (08-04-2022),Snow Balls (09-15-2021)

Thanks

Re: Help with identifying morphs

Thanks.

I have wondered if the mother acctually is only a spinner and don't carry fire at all, since she it is also pretty dark. It was sold to me as a fire spinner, but being relatively new to the ball python world I don't have much to compare too and I have found very few photos of fire spinner online. Here is a photo of the mother with the eggs:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Adult Fire Spinners can darken up like that so it can be difficult to tell in adults. In most cases, Fire really brightens over time, but just not in this combo long term because Pins darken so much as adults. She has very little of the dark pinstriping on the top of her head, which to me indicates she probably does have the Fire, but it's not definitive. You would expect to have 2-3 Fire in a clutch of 5, so that's another counter point to the mother and 2nd one possible not having Fire, but stranger odds have happened.

I'd watch that 2nd one over the time it takes to get it eating, and if it brightens up a little during that hatchling stage that would be a good sign it really does have Fire.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks
    I agree with Nikkubus, Spinner, Fire spinner, mojave spider
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain