Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,017

0 members and 3,017 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Livestreamed rattlesnake rookery!

I wanted to share this link because some of you may enjoy it as much as I do!

Central Coast Snake Services is a group in California that does rattlesnake removal and relocation, snake safety training for humans and aversion training for dogs, snake-proof fence installation, and general public education about rattlesnakes.

A few weeks ago they started 'Rattlecam', the first livestream of a rattlesnake rookery (communal birthing area). This particular rookery is inhabited by several (I think 4 or 5) females who are either very gravid or have recently given birth, as well as a couple of males. Births have been very recent, so the pups aren't out of the den and visible yet but the adults are typically out basking for much of the day. Pups should be visible any day now! It's been cool to see the snakes relaxing and interacting. A few days ago a big male stopped by and was acting flirty with one of the females until she decided she'd had enough of him and gave him a gentle 'rattle slap' to send him on his way.

It's often quiet, and of course basking snakes aren't a source of high-energy video footage, but I still really enjoy the opportunity to see them in their natural home. Fingers crossed babies will be emerging soon - at least two females have definitely birthed recently, and one of the others has been out of sight so is probably giving birth. Link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAD8...ojectRattleCam
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-14-2021),Bogertophis (09-14-2021),richardhind1972 (09-14-2021)