Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,032

1 members and 3,031 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

7 for 7 on snake feeding and all 11 reptiles ate today

Doesn't happen all the time, mainly because Shayna, my BP, can be picky, and there always seems to be someone in shed. However, I went 7/7 feeding tonight with the snakes. Everyone happily ate.

Frank, the BTS ate this afternoon, the Rhacodactylus (Leachie and Chewie) got their powder/water gel mix, and even though Carra (Leopard Gecko) ate last night, I threw her a medium Dubia just to say everyone ate!

Not sure the last time this happened, but it's always fun to have happy and full critters!

Things have been crazy of late and I've been sharing crappy news a lot (no pun intended with the sewage backup into the finished basement/reptile area being part of that). I thought it would be nice to share a good story for a change!

Anyone else with a large group get everyone to eat the same day? Any other success stories people want to share?

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-13-2021),GoingPostal (09-14-2021),Hugsplox (09-14-2021),jmcrook (09-13-2021),richardhind1972 (09-14-2021),Snagrio (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I love it when it works. Now & then, all 19 of mine eat the same day too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (09-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: 7 for 7 on snake feeding and all 11 reptiles ate today

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I love it when it works. Now & then, all 19 of mine eat the same day too.
    Of course, "all 19!" Always have to show me up, huh? .

As Hannibal from the A-Team used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    As someone who has just the one reptile compared to multiple birds and fish (all of which eat without fail no matter what is offered), rather surreal to see a post about how all of somebody's animals eating is considered an event of note.

Perhaps I'll understand as my reptile "sector" expands in the future.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2021),dakski (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Most of my guys eat like clockwork and would happily overeat if I'd allow it. I have several with the typical Boa attitude - the instant they realize I am thawing rodents, it's:

IS THAT A RAT? IS IT VAGUELY THAWED? I'M GONNA LAUNCH MYSELF ACROSS THE ENCLOSURE RIGHT FREAKING NOW. LOL YOU REALLY THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO TAKE THE TIME TO DANGLE THAT SUCKER?

I did, however, have success with my very sensitive, shy Dumeril's Boa, who actually struck at his quail in front of me rather than waiting until I darken the room and leave him alone, all while praying to the snake gods that he will eat. I think as long as I am willing to accommodate his strong preference for quail and chicks, I may have overcome his reluctance to eat.

I agree, Dakski. It's a great feeling when you know all of the critters have eaten and are cozy and well fed.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 09-14-2021 at 12:27 AM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2021),dakski (09-14-2021),richardhind1972 (09-14-2021),Snagrio (09-14-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    As someone who has just the one reptile compared to multiple birds and fish (all of which eat without fail no matter what is offered), rather surreal to see a post about how all of somebody's animals eating is considered an event of note.

Perhaps I'll understand as my reptile "sector" expands in the future.
    Yes you will, especially if you keep BPs. BPs find "more than their share of excuses" to not eat. And snakes in general, compared to other pets, do skip some meals anyway. For shedding, mostly, but my 2 big Florida rat snake "ladies" miss a number of meals when they're laying eggs, & they do double clutches also. Of course, after that, they make up for it by eating like Miss Piggy!

When snakes get old, like my 22 year old corn, they skip meals too- because their activity & metabolism slows down. And in the fall, a few of mine (rosy boa & TX longnose) will start to eat less even though not officially brumated thru the winter. Of course, I offer them food anyway, but they only eat maybe 20-30% of the time in winter. When you love & keep snakes, you just get used to all their quirks & "excuses".

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (09-14-2021),Snagrio (09-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes you will, especially if you keep BPs. BPs find "more than their share of excuses" to not eat. And snakes in general, compared to other pets, do skip some meals anyway. For shedding, mostly, but my 2 big Florida rat snake "ladies" miss a number of meals when they're laying eggs, & they do double clutches also. Of course, after that, they make up for it by eating like Miss Piggy!

When snakes get old, like my 22 year old corn, they skip meals too- because their activity & metabolism slows down. And in the fall, a few of mine (rosy boa & TX longnose) will start to eat less even though not officially brumated thru the winter. Of course, I offer them food anyway, but they only eat maybe 20-30% of the time in winter. When you love & keep snakes, you just get used to all their quirks & "excuses".
    I've been lucky so far. He has yet to outright refuse anything (he's skipped an occasional week for shedding, but that was my choice not his) but I'm bracing for the day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Of course, "all 19!" Always have to show me up, huh? ...
    Well, I wasn't trying to, but you can always add 8 more, if you like? Or better yet, let me send you a few, hahaha!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Most of my guys eat like clockwork and would happily overeat if I'd allow it. I have several with the typical Boa attitude - the instant they realize I am thawing rodents, it's:

IS THAT A RAT? IS IT VAGUELY THAWED? I'M GONNA LAUNCH MYSELF ACROSS THE ENCLOSURE RIGHT FREAKING NOW. LOL YOU REALLY THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO TAKE THE TIME TO DANGLE THAT SUCKER?

I did, however, have success with my very sensitive, shy Dumeril's Boa, who actually struck at his quail in front of me rather than waiting until I darken the room and leave him alone, all while praying to the snake gods that he will eat. I think as long as I am willing to accommodate his strong preference for quail and chicks, I may have overcome his reluctance to eat.

I agree, Dakski. It's a great feeling when you know all of the critters have eaten and are cozy and well fed.
    Not my Dum. He caught the rat in mid air last feeding day. He's a nut! Smacking the glass... Walls.... Whatever!

I have a few aggressive feeders but he's on another level.

I have 5 in shed right now so I've just been waiting to feed.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Not my Dum. He caught the rat in mid air last feeding day. He's a nut! Smacking the glass... Walls.... Whatever!

I have a few aggressive feeders but he's on another level.

I have 5 in shed right now so I've just been waiting to feed.
    My first Dum is the sensitive feeder. It's been a constant battle with him for over a year. I've gotten some excellent help from folks here, though, and from a keeper in another group whose Dum refused to eat off of tongs until he was six years old(!). I'm hoping it won't take this guy as long, but letting him have the quail he prefers, and drop feeding him late at night in a dark room seems to have worked. I realize that this isn't unusual with young Dums but understanding it intellectually versus living with it are two different experiences! I have a good track record with getting shy or reluctant snakes to eat, and I've never even had a stubborn Ball Python be as much of a challenge as he has been. I think we've gotten past the worst of it, though.

The Dum I recently adopted is just the opposite. His feeding response is really intense, which I love! Because of that, I also started target training him immediately. I think he's going to be a big guy and I know Dums aren't a giant snake, but I am a small woman and I want to be sure his feeding response is focused and moderated once he's an adult.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'