Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,357

1 members and 2,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Possible scale rot?

I've had Kubira since early Feb. She eats great and has 4 complete sheds since she's been with me. I feed her every Monday and don't handle her untill Thursday when I weigh her. This past Thursday I noticed a small spot on her neck close to her head that was discolored and 100% not part of her pattern! I normally use coco husk mixed with forest floor and spaghnum moss for her substrate. Her hot side is normally around 89 to 90 and her cool side is about 76 to 78. She's has a 3 hides in a 38x18x18 enclosure (until her 48x24x15 enclosure comes in) I cleaned all her plants and hides really well and put down paper towels down yesterday because it's what is best for possible sale rot. Last night it looked like she was trying to throw up!

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    Can you get a photo of this spot?
    Also is she fed live or frozen thaw? Cause it could also be a bite if she's fed live

Thanks
    I'm not sure how to upload a photo in the post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    That is a very unlikely place to get scale rot. Probably from a bite, scratch, or rubbing on something. Try tapatalk to upload pics, makes it a lot easier. Otherwise you have to load to gallery here or some kind of photo hosting and then put the link to the image here with the "insert image" button.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Piwaket187 (09-12-2021)

Thanks

Re: Possible scale rot?

A few pictures of Kubira and her enclosure before input her on paper towels.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Piwaket187 View Post
    ... Last night it looked like she was trying to throw up!
    I wonder what that was about? Doesn't sound normal to me. Snakes have trouble throwing up- sometimes if they have congestion from an RI & struggle to breathe, it might look similar- OR- as some have recently posted, when their BPs had a gas pain, before they defecated & "found relief" they also did some thrashing around, so perhaps? No way we can say for sure what that was about, but just keep a watch- hopefully "nothing"?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

It looked liked she was trying to throw up to me. Where she was was hard to see if anything actually came out of her mouth. I held her a few minutes after I was done cleaning her enclosure yesterday and it didn't sound like she was wheezing and her breathing doesn't seem labored. I cleaned her cage about 9 am and she did the throw up thing about 8ish last night.. She did poop and pee at the same time and she looked like she threw up. She's my first ball python so I'm honestly not sure what is going on. Right now she's in her hot side hide and according to the heat gun it's 89 to 90 right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Piwaket187 View Post
    It looked liked she was trying to throw up to me. Where she was was hard to see if anything actually came out of her mouth. I held her a few minutes after I was done cleaning her enclosure yesterday and it didn't sound like she was wheezing and her breathing doesn't seem labored. I cleaned her cage about 9 am and she did the throw up thing about 8ish last night.. She did poop and pee at the same time and she looked like she threw up. She's my first ball python so I'm honestly not sure what is going on. Right now she's in her hot side hide and according to the heat gun it's 89 to 90 right now.

What substrate are you using? Do you feed her in her enclosure & with some sort of "plate" underneath f/t prey? Is it possible she's ingested a chunk of substrate of some kind along with her most recent meal, & was actually choking on it? Snakes cannot actually cough, & really struggle when trying to get rid of anything by way of their mouth.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

I use a mix of coco husk, forest floor and spaghnum moss. I feed her frozen/thawed every Monday night in her enclosure. Nothing underneath her food. When she did the throw up thing I only saw poop, pee/liquid on paper towels and some urate. It was a small peice of poop. But I did clean a very large poop out when I was doing her deep clean earlier that day.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Could have just been a fart, when mine do it they have there mouth wide open tense up and sorta thrash. I’m terms of the skin scale rot usualy is on scales and turn brown, this almost looks like a piece of stuck shed, did she shed in between these dates at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast