Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 901

1 members and 900 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Same morph/different name

Okay, another question from me😂😬. I am learning something new about BPs everyday. Banana and Coral Glow are the same morph. Are there any other morphs like this? Just would like to be on the ball with this stuff for when I go to more expos/shows.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    The story goes that a guy in Africa sold 2 snakes to two different breeders. One called it Banana and the other called it Coral Glow. I don't know if either breeder was aware of the other having a similar snake.

They're the same gene. Because ball pythons can be very polymorphic at times, sometimes breeders will say they can identify it by small giveaways like the alien heads or the way it blushes out. But that can get muddled up as soon as you start outcrossing and mixing other genes in.

It's good to keep using the same name that you purchased under though just in case. For example I always use coral glow for mine. Or my other female is always listed as lesser, never butter, even though it's basically the same gene.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

JJpeep (09-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    There has been a lot of argument about whether they are the same exact gene or just allellic, and there are others that have the same situation. Until someone actually sequences the genomes and finds out the exact genes responsible, we can't really know. They could have stemmed from the same gene but one mutated ever so slightly. They could share a gene but be linked to another gene different from one another, so minor polygenic differences could exist between the two that are hard to unlink. It's hard to really understand without studying genetics quite a bit.

TLDR- nobody really knows if they are the same or not.

Butter/Lesser, Asphalt/Gravel, and some other morphs out there are debated but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

JJpeep (09-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thank you both. Even for patience. I am sure it has been asked before. I was trying to find threads before asking.