Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,146

1 members and 2,145 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question about F/T rats.

How long to the last in the freezer? I have 3 snakes and the each eat a different size rat (fuzzy, Pup and weaned) currently. I placed an order of 25 each but have noticed that some are starting to get freezer burn on them after a month or so. Is that normal? Do people separate them and vacuum seal them?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Freezer burn is a normal & "cosmetic issue"- your snake won't really care. But for maximum freshness, minimize the air your "ratsicles" are exposed to in the freezer.

Best way is to separate & vacuum seal, & that way, they can last easily a year. For only 3 snakes, & to save money by ordering quantities of 25, yes, that's what you should be doing. Or at the very least, rewrapping them individually (or with only a few) with as much air pushed out as you can in zip-lock baggies. You could put those in a plastic snap-top container too, or even a coffee can, for extra protection.

No matter how long my rodents are frozen, I always give a sniff test when thawed, & certainly take the snake's "word for it" if refused. Freezing doesn't kill germs- it only arrests their development. Sometimes sources don't use the best (fastest) methods to freeze after euthanizing, (or maybe you've forgotten about that power failure?) allowing some spoilage to occur. But again, freezer burn is not actual "spoilage"- just some dryness.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-11-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: Question about F/T rats.

Quote Originally Posted by pinaf413 View Post
    How long to the last in the freezer? I have 3 snakes and the each eat a different size rat (fuzzy, Pup and weaned) currently. I placed an order of 25 each but have noticed that some are starting to get freezer burn on them after a month or so. Is that normal? Do people separate them and vacuum seal them?
    Last order I made was from Perfect Prey, they come vacuum sealed in packs of 15 (small rats), I order enough for a years worth of feeding (unless I add a snake or 2), then it's not quite a years worth

I haven't had any issues with quality yet (last order received in February).

I also order from Big Cheese (depending on who has what I need in stock) No issues there either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (09-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: Question about F/T rats.

I ordered from Perfect Prey and Reptile Deli and it is happening to both.
    So I just ordered a Vacuum Sealer Machine and should have it Monday. Hopefully that will solve the problem.