Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

2 members and 2,874 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Is this correct setup for breeding??

Hi friends,

this is my first try at ball python breeding. https://youtu.be/IXV7cJgEZt0

IS that the correct setup?? tips are appreciated
    ~KFG_Reptiles~

0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Enchi Pinstripe
    1.0 Queen Bee

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KFG_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (09-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: Is this correct setup for breeding??

No doubt someone with much more experience than myself will provide some invaluable advice.

I've had one successful season, and on my first attempt.

The one thing I constantly had in my mind was my breeding females environment so she wouldn't get stressed out by too many changes. I even have concern about the introduction of a male stressing her out. With that, I put my male in with her and in her environment.

My worry about moving them both to a new location they were both stranger too would be the distraction the new smells might cause and possibly stress one or both animals out.

I could be talking baloney, but this is how I think of it, and introducing the male to the females environment is what worked for me last season, and it's what I'll be doing again this season!

Good luck.
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bleh For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (09-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I think my tubs are slightly bigger that I breed in but I don't know what types of tubs are available there. Clear is nice to see whats going on but sometimes will make them too shy. You will just have to see how it goes.

If there is anything I wish I'd have done differently my first year or two, it would be to put the male in for less time. I've had much better results putting him in there 24-72 hrs at a time and trying again in a week or two if I couldn't get a lock, another month if they did lock. If they aren't interested for whatever reason, that isn't likely to change leaving him in there, but some rest and trying again does the trick a lot of the time.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2021),KFG_Reptiles (10-04-2021)

Thanks

Update on this pairing:

3 weeks ago i introduced the male into the female’s container and they paired after about 12 hours overnight. Once they separated, I put the male back into his own enclosure.

Normal feeding and cleaning for the last 2 weeks. Female shed once and poop as usual. Male also poop.

Last night I introduced the same male into the female’s container. And this morning they locked again! Yay! I’m guessing i have to keep this cycle until the female ovulate? Or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~KFG_Reptiles~

0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Enchi Pinstripe
    1.0 Queen Bee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Yep! Just keep it up until she ovulates or shortly before if you are pretty sure she is going to keep refusing to lock. Generally the female will stop allowing him to lock before actual ovulation, but since you are brand new to breeding, it may be better to just keep trying. Once the follicles are about 25mm is about that point where pairing no longer does any good, she will likely refuse to lock, and she is just at the final stages of building before ovulation.

Congrats! That's really exciting they locked for you, and hopefully they will this next time too.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

KFG_Reptiles (10-04-2021),Ronniex2 (10-17-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Yep! Just keep it up until she ovulates or shortly before if you are pretty sure she is going to keep refusing to lock. Generally the female will stop allowing him to lock before actual ovulation, but since you are brand new to breeding, it may be better to just keep trying. Once the follicles are about 25mm is about that point where pairing no longer does any good, she will likely refuse to lock, and she is just at the final stages of building before ovulation.

Congrats! That's really exciting they locked for you, and hopefully they will this next time too.
    Agreed…my females where weird but the older one knew … Spell was being a lil hore lol…but they know what they doing … we jus need to do our part (temps, humidity, food, etc.) good luck tho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk