Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,730

2 members and 2,728 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New addition

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

New addition

I was not intending to add any new snakes to my scaly family. But a dear friend of mine decided to downsize her collection as she and her husband want to focus entirely on building their Ball Python breeding program.

They had a young Dumeril's Boa who is almost exactly the same age as my Dumeril's, Gyre. Dums aren't a rare snake, but they've always been sort an unknown gem in the hobby (at least in my opinion), and they are much loved among those who appreciate them. As you may know, they have experienced a surge in popularity due to increased exposure on youtube, etc. which may or may not be great for the snakes, but has certainly resulted in significant price increases.

My friend didn't want to sell hers, as she was really worried about him going to some random stranger who fell for the recent hype about Dums and might not provide good care for him. So she offered to give him to me. I struggled a little with the decision, but I love those snakes, and appreciated her trust in me and the fact that she would rather see him in a good home than make a sale. I do have the room for his eventual adult enclosure - but I'd like this to be my final big enclosure.

So...this is my new and final addition, Titan. He's got a couple more months to go in quarantine but has already turned out to be quite a sociable guy. He wanted out of his quarantine tub a few days ago, and peacefully hung out in a soft pet bed next to me while I was reading. He's definitely typical of the Dumeril's 'lap snake' reputation - a very chill, sweet-tempered snake who is interested in everything around him but not nervous or reactive.

I'm comfortable with my decision to take him. I'm actually pretty good at saying 'no' and have turned down a few beautiful snakes in the last year, as well as giving away a Carpet Python with great bloodlines that I unexpectedly won in a raffle. But taking Titan felt right, and I look forward to getting him into a PVC enclosure once he's past quarantine.

[IMG][/IMG]
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-09-2021),Bogertophis (09-09-2021),dakski (09-09-2021),EL-Ziggy (09-09-2021),richardhind1972 (09-10-2021),Snagrio (09-09-2021),WrongPython (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    You can say that again on the pricing... I might have had interest in a Dumeril's at some point but the price hike (often $800+!) is just ridiculous, especially for a snake that doesn't look all that amazing color-wise. Thanks a lot Pet Tubers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I have always loved Dums. Their pattern is just amazing. I have a buddy that wanted a snake so he and I went to an expo and that is what he selected. I helped him get it all set up and helped him along the way as it grew. Once it got to about 4.5 ft and that Boa feed response was in full effect he got to be afraid of it and wanted to get rid of it. He offered it to me a few times but I was strong and turned him down several times. Finally though he said it would be free and he just needed it gone. At Free-99 I could not turn it down and he is now in my collection. He loves to smack the glass at night to anything that moves but he is a great snake. He did tag me once and I have to say it was by far the hardest strike I have taken. He hit me like a train and actually bruised me.

Getting a great deal on a snake is one thing but getting a beauty like that for free is extra special. Nice addition.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-09-2021),EL-Ziggy (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Congratulations on your new snake! I haven't wanted to add any snakes for some time now, but even I'd have had trouble saying no to that one. Like you, I've always loved their look, & I miss the big cuddly boa (BCI) that I had for many years- she was great to watch movies with, lol. I haven't looked at their prices lately, but that wouldn't have figured into my decision either way- this sounds like a wonderful pet to me. Welcome, Titan! ("Titanoboa"? !!! )
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    I'm really glad you took him. And yes, these guys are really strong so I bet you felt that strike. Honestly I can see the same potential in Titan thanks to his very enthusiastic food response - so I've already started target training him. He's such a sweetheart overall, and I know the target training should help when it's feeding time.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

KMG (09-09-2021),richardhind1972 (09-10-2021)

Thanks

Re: New addition

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    You can say that again on the pricing... I might have had interest in a Dumeril's at some point but the price hike (often $800+!) is just ridiculous, especially for a snake that doesn't look all that amazing color-wise. Thanks a lot Pet Tubers.
    Yeah. I have no objections at all to breeders getting a better price, given the work and heartbreak of breeding. But I worry when a snake becomes a fad. I always thought they were honestly too cheap before, but the current prices are pretty crazy; hopefully they will settle into more moderate and reasonable ranges. I will say that personally I find their colors really gorgeous, but my inclination is always to wild types rather than morphs and I also adore my plain little brown snakes (Antaresia) so my perspective is skewed, lol.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2021),Homebody (11-23-2021),Snagrio (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Yeah. I have no objections at all to breeders getting a better price, given the work and heartbreak of breeding. But I worry when a snake becomes a fad. I always thought they were honestly too cheap before, but the current prices are pretty crazy; hopefully they will settle into more moderate and reasonable ranges. I will say that personally I find their colors really gorgeous, but my inclination is always to wild types rather than morphs and I also adore my plain little brown snakes (Antaresia) so my perspective is skewed, lol.
    Don't get me wrong, the patterns on a Dumeril's are like a tapestry in their elegance and beauty. It's just all the browns that don't appeal to me personally. Then again I live where the landscape is brown for roughly a third of the year which is probably why I feel as such towards the color in general.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I will say that personally I find their colors really gorgeous, but my inclination is always to wild types rather than morphs
    Me too!
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Awesome addition Caitlin! I love Dums! You have a very impressive and diverse collection.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

17. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Looking good. I'd definitely consider a Dumeril's as well. Not much room for one right now though. Oh yeah, and no more additions at the moment!

However, I love their gentle nature and beauty.

Nice addition. Keep us posted!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (09-10-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast