Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

2 members and 3,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Strange scales in head

Hi! I came again in this forum because I want to understand if it's all ok in my python.
    I noticed that my python had a strange scales in some part of his head skin (I put some links with the photos in the thread) after the shed, so I thought that it was some micro pieces of shed that he has stucked but I tried to remove them and nothing, seem like those strange scales are a part of the new skin and not an old part, but they have a color that I never seen in that part of the skin. They are more shiny and white, any ideas?
    https://ibb.co/nCqJ53J
    https://ibb.co/RHN8kfH

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    The photos are a little fuzzy but perhaps he got an injury somehow. Do you feed live or have you seen him rubbing his head on something?
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (09-10-2021)

Thanks

Re: Strange scales in head

I feed him with frozen and I never seen him rub his head but I think that he probably do it in the opening of the hide.
    Another thing: he has an "old" injury but it had it before I take him some months ago (probably caused by the previous owner). It's correct healed anyway but unfortunately he has a scar.
    Last edited by Edea_Tsuki; 09-09-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    It will probably go away after a few shed cycles as long as he isn't continuing to rub it.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Those don't look likely to be injury-related, to me, because it's very difficult (more like impossible?) for a snake to injure individual scales with normal ones in between like that.

Despite your blurry photos, my guess would be a fungal infection of the skin. BPs are a bit prone to this, due to their homes being so warm & humid- it's also fungus-friendly. These spots tend to increase (be on the look-out!) & try a mild topical antifungal** cream on them, or see your vet to verify. **You'll need to apply it regularly for a while- Q tips work well. (When I kept BPs years ago, I experienced this very thing with mine, & if you ignore it, it can expand a great deal, making it much harder to get rid of. I bought a liquid medication designed for veterinary use from my vet at the time, but I don't recall the name of it; be very careful if using something designed for humans, since other ingredients may be toxic to snakes/reptiles, & it's likely to be stronger too. It will take a while after frequent daily applications for it to go away- shedding alone won't do it, IF this is a fungal issue.)

I can't tell from your photos, but if this is the same as what my snake had, the scales affected had a funny rough "texture" to them- not actually shiny/pink like scar tissue is from an injury. The scales appear lighter because of the way light catches on the texture, I guess? Almost like they were left behind from a prior shed, but they don't come off.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-09-2021 at 11:54 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (09-10-2021)

Thanks
    Ok I'll contact a vet as soon as possible for understand better what he has. I want to be sure of what he has before give him medicinals. Thanks for the answers as always!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Let us know what your vet says- I can't be sure without a really good close-up of those scales, so I'm just guessing it's what I've seen before. And I said BPs seem to be prone to it because I've seen other posts on forums with the same type of scales pictured -close enough for me to see- & owners wondering what it was. Not serious, but annoying for sure- not something you want to ignore & let spread. But you never know, it could be something else entirely. Your vet should know & be the best able to help.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-10-2021 at 11:29 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Edea_Tsuki (09-15-2021)

Thanks
    Ok, I just talked with the vet.
    Fortunally there are no infection (we also did the UV test and it result negative), with the vet we theorize that probably he did the shed and he rubbed his head to try to remove it so the part it's just a bit irritated.
    The vet also told me that the python is in a very good condiction and he is healthy so I'm happy and more calm

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Edea_Tsuki For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-16-2021)