Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,684

0 members and 2,684 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Why blood pythons?

I am thinking about getting a blood python or short tailed python in the future. Generally speaking, pythons are my favorite type of snake and I find bloods to be very beautiful, majestic animals.

The only downside, as far as I'm concerned, might be their tendency to not move much at all. I would appreciate some input from you blood-keepers out there on this.

Do they hide pretty much all the time as sub adults and adults? I'm a little bit concerned that it's going to be a snake that pretty much stays hidden and motionless for most of the time. My BP and dwarf burmese of course do this as well but they still move around and "show themselves". To me, it seems like most keepers of bloods are pretty happy with their snakes. Maybe some of you could try to explain what it is that makes them good pets?

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    My Bloods move the least out of all my snakes. They are officially pet rocks.

As for hiding it could go either way. Sometimes they are in their hide, or maybe have their head and neck sticking out. May be under the newspaper, or may just be laying out for all the world to see. My male is in blue right now and just laying out and my big female has her head and neck out of her hide.

What you need to be prepared for is a VERY heavy bodied snake that is VERY powerful. When they are in a bad mood you need to be able to handle them. My female is around 6ft and between 30-40 lbs. She can really be a handful if she wants to be.

The other thing is when they go to the bathroom it's an event. You will swear a baby elephant stopped by. Even when my female simply urinates...... She floods the cage soaking the entire thing. It's ridiculous and a big difference from my other snakes.
    Last edited by KMG; 09-09-2021 at 01:20 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2021),danielo (09-10-2021),Hugsplox (09-10-2021),Lord Sorril (09-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: Why blood pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    The other thing is when they go to the bathroom it's an event. You will swear a baby elephant stopped by. Even when my female simply urinates...... She floods the cage soaking the entire thing. It's ridiculous and a big difference from my other snakes.
    First I've ever heard of a snake's bowel movements being referred to as "an event" and "ridiculous." No wonder they aren't as popular as they potentially could be.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-09-2021 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling correction "bowel", not "bowl"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    First I've ever heard of a snake's bowl movements being referred to as "an event" and "ridiculous." No wonder they aren't as popular as they potentially could be.
    They are fairly easy to care for as they eat well and really do no require anything crazy as for care, other than a larger cage than some. The difficulty comes with their size and movements. I have a few other snakes that are longer and very strong but they are in another world. I am a big strong guy with good size hands but I can not wrap one hand around her like I can my others. Luckily she is usually a good girl but she has had her moments and I know if she wanted to truly give me hell she could in a big way.

I do love them and I love their heavy build and personality but they are certainly not for everyone. That heavy build is what I liked and caught my attention to begin with. They are very "vocal" and like to huff, puff, and hiss. It is normal for them even on a good day.
    KMG

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

danielo (09-10-2021),EL-Ziggy (09-10-2021),Snagrio (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

They are fairly easy to care for as they eat well and really do no require anything crazy as for care, other than a larger cage than some. The difficulty comes with their size and movements. I have a few other snakes that are longer and very strong but they are in another world. I am a big strong guy with good size hands but I can not wrap one hand around her like I can my others. Luckily she is usually a good girl but she has had her moments and I know if she wanted to truly give me hell she could in a big way.

I do love them and I love their heavy build and personality but they are certainly not for everyone. That heavy build is what I liked and caught my attention to begin with. They are very "vocal" and like to huff, puff, and hiss. It is normal for them even on a good day.
    Ah. Can see why they were considered "bad" snakes back in the day before CB individuals became more widespread. The combination of an ornery predisposition, deceptive strength for their size and all around not doing much didn't do them any favors I'd imagine.

Thanks

I think this calls for some adult heavy blood pics.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (09-10-2021)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Their propensity to not move around and be pet rocks is part of why I like them as pets, they are easy to keep happy in captivity. They are nice sized but not huge and if well bred get better looking with time along with calming down temperament wise which makes a nice lap snake for handling.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

danielo (09-10-2021),EL-Ziggy (09-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    I think this calls for some adult heavy blood pics.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Agreed, would love to see every's animals!

Thanks

My Bloods move the least out of all my snakes. They are officially pet rocks.

As for hiding it could go either way. Sometimes they are in their hide, or maybe have their head and neck sticking out. May be under the newspaper, or may just be laying out for all the world to see. My male is in blue right now and just laying out and my big female has her head and neck out of her hide.

What you need to be prepared for is a VERY heavy bodied snake that is VERY powerful. When they are in a bad mood you need to be able to handle them. My female is around 6ft and between 30-40 lbs. She can really be a handful if she wants to be.

I was aware of them taking few and huge dumps but the urinating... They seriously more or less flood the cage?!?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danielo View Post
    I was aware of them taking few and huge dumps but the urinating... They seriously more or less flood the cage?!?

Yes. Not many urinates. Just straight liquid urine. She will fill her 48x24 inch cage floor, soaking the paper from end to end.... Completely. Not a dry spot in the cage and I put extra paper in there because of the amount.

With that I take her out and put her in a tub with about an inch of water and later wipe her down to clean her off. I do this while I clean the cage. So both are clean.

My male is not nearly as bad but he's also not nearly her size.
    Last edited by KMG; 09-10-2021 at 12:55 PM.
    KMG

15. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

danielo (09-10-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast