Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

5 members and 3,272 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

General Feelings on a 24" setup?

Hey folks,
    I have an AP T8 on order with a divider.

For right now, the intention is to have it divided into two 24" habitats and keep two young (one 1-year and one eventually-will-be-1-year) BPs in each section. It's set up with two RHP so that each side has it's own control.

Do folks feel like eventually it will be necessary to remove the divider and give each BP its own 48" habitat?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Yes. An adult BP isn't going to fit in 24", but 48" might be a bit too much- depending on gender & age. It's going to take a while for them to out-grow this, but they're sure to do so. (what is the depth, front to back?)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: General Feelings on a 24" setup?

I had the same setup... T8, divider, 2 RHP's. Once my bp got big enough, she got her own 4ft enclosure. She's in a T10 right now. But I think a T8 is more than enough for one.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    I had the same setup... T8, divider, 2 RHP's. Once my bp got big enough, she got her own 4ft enclosure. She's in a T10 right now. But I think a T8 is more than enough for one.

Were you able to just pull the divider and use the T8 for one of them and then purchase another T8 for the 2nd BP? I'm worried that the two mounted RHPs will make it impractical to convert into a housing for a single BP. I haven't received the unit yet, so I don't have perspective on how easy it would be to remove two RHP and install a single larger one, or how much that would mutilate the roof of the enclosure...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes. An adult BP isn't going to fit in 24", but 48" might be a bit too much- depending on gender & age. It's going to take a while for them to out-grow this, but they're sure to do so. (what is the depth, front to back?)
    The AP T8 is 48" x 24" x 12", so with the divider, ~24"x24"x12".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tempo36 View Post
    The AP T8 is 48" x 24" x 12", so with the divider, ~24"x24"x12".
    12" being the height, I assume. The whole 48" will be very spacious for one fully-grown adult. Cannot advise you on the difficulty of pulling & reinstalling an RHP though, as I don't use them. With each side being 24" x 24", it should take quite a while for the 2 of them to out-grown this shared unit.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-08-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    12" being the height, I assume. The whole 48" will be very spacious for one fully-grown adult. Cannot advise you on the difficulty of pulling & reinstalling an RHP though, as I don't use them. With each side being 24" x 24", it should take quite a while for the 2 of them to out-grown this shared unit.
    Out of curiosity...and I know this will be down the line a while...how do you determine when a BP has outgrown its space? Corner to corner length? Behavior?

Thanks

Were you able to just pull the divider and use the T8 for one of them and then purchase another T8 for the 2nd BP? I'm worried that the two mounted RHPs will make it impractical to convert into a housing for a single BP. I haven't received the unit yet, so I don't have perspective on how easy it would be to remove two RHP and install a single larger one, or how much that would mutilate the roof of the enclosure...
    The divider is just "pushed" into place. You can remove it when cleaning the enclosure and then easily put it back (with some force, of course). When the time comes, you just remove it permanently.

Animal Plastics put the RHP's in for me. I bought the RHP's from Pro-Products, and they shipped to AP to have them install. The panels were installed toward the center of the 48" length. So, each 24" space has the RHP towards the center of the full enclosure, but becomes on one end with the divider.

I haven't done it yet with the T8, but I was told by Bob from Pro Products, when the time comes and I make it one big enclosure, just remove one of the RHP's and bunny hop it over to the other side, and you can use both together under one thermostat. Of course, you can try if one alone would work to heat up the enclosure properly, depending on the wattage and ambient room temps (my room is usually in the mid to high 60's). But, while I haven't removed the RHP's, it shouldn't be difficult. You'll just need to be able to get your hand in there with a small enough screwdriver to unscrew. But, due to working in a tight space, it will probably be a bit tough putting the RHP back on. Unless, of course, you just remove the whole top of the enclosure and work with it all open. Which, to be honest, is what I would probably do. Easy enough to remove the top.

0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Out of curiosity...and I know this will be down the line a while...how do you determine when a BP has outgrown its space? Corner to corner length? Behavior?
    I think you'll know- it depends partly on the activity level of the species you're keeping. BPs are known for hiding a lot & not being very active, though you can also have exceptions to that & you'd want to take that into account also. Many find BPs prefer "cozier" homes- but again, it's hard to put that into a formula.

There are guidelines issued for minimal space afforded captive snakes given by various state Fish & Game agencies- I seem to recall some require an enclosure where the length of the enclosure plus the width must be equal to or not less than the full length of the occupant- or something along those lines.

But there are so many ways to set up homes for snakes- for example, if they're a type that climbs, that can be a way of increasing their usable space within (much like a multi-story house). Most people don't say their BPs climb, but I've seen a few exceptions- & sometimes you never see such behaviors if you don't first make them possible. When I kept adult BPs, I used enclosures that were 3'-4' long, depending on their size. (My biggest female was a 5'+ w/c rescue, but the c/b adults were all about 4'.)

One obvious way to suspect that a snake of any kind has outgrown their home is when they keep trying to push their way out. Some start rubbing their noses in frustration.

Another consideration is having enough space to provide the temperature gradients needed by the snake. It's hard if not impossible to offer the range of temperatures in an enclosure that's too small. Each area (warmest or coolest) has to be big enough for the snake to fit in it, obviously, & when these areas are too close together, you lose the variation- the temps. run together.

Also, snakes need enough space to have at least 2 hides (cool side & warm side), or better yet 3 (including a humid hide), plus a water dish. All this stuff has to fit, & if it doesn't, the enclosure isn't big enough for the snake either.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-08-2021 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I think it will work out well since the RHPs are installed towards the center. I think a T8 is a perfect size for an adult female eventually, maybe a bit excessive for a male but not so big that it would be a problem as long as he isn't overly shy. 24"x24" should be good for a pretty good long while though for each of them, maybe forever for a male unless he is exceptionally large.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast