Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,523

1 members and 1,522 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: WLP getting tested for Inclusion body disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I for sure don't understand why she still gives IBD such a high probability- as far as I know, many infections can cause a high WBC in a snake?
    A Google search shows hookworm infestation causes high WBC in a lot of species.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-11-2022),Awesomethepossum (09-09-2021),Bogertophis (10-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A Google search shows hookworm infestation causes high WBC in a lot of species.
    And since this WLP is known to have hookworms, that's a much better explanation for the high WBC than jumping to assume it has IBD. Unless there's something more the vet isn't explaining?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (03-11-2022)

Thanks

And since this WLP is known to have hookworms, that's a much better explanation for the high WBC than jumping to assume it has IBD. Unless there's something more the vet isn't explaining?
    I'm glad I'm not alone with being confused, it's actually reassuring...but it does make me worry I'm missing something. But she only showed concern for the high WBC. Didn't say anything else from the blood test results was concerning. But I feel like stress would also increase his count as well? It is a stress sensitive species.

I need to get this guy started back on food. I'm honestly not really sure how he would want to with all of this going on, but I'm hoping the meds will encourage his appetite. They want me to bring him in weekly for tube feedings, but that isn't something I feel comfortable with. Might be a long-shot, but I'm gonna try offering a live mouse tonight.

I'll be on edge until the results come back, but him eating would help ease my nerves some.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2021)

Thanks

Just an update, but the results for the test came back negative, which is a huge relief.

Still refusing food...which is fair with everything going on... plus the antibiotic shots every three days.

Considering his current state, I did a tube feeding with today's dose of antibiotics to get some nutrients in him. He's getting his third round of Metronidazole treatment next week, and will be on these antibiotics for another month or so.

Fingers crossed that everything goes as planned and he gets back on track.

(Pic is a couple of months old. But here he is, begging for more food)

Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 09-14-2021 at 05:30 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2021),Caitlin (09-14-2021),GoingPostal (09-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    He's just beautiful and I am sorry for both of you that he has been having a rough go of it. I'm SO relieved that the tests came back negative. It bothered me that your vet was so focused on a possible IBD diagnosis, but didn't want to confuse things too much with posting here.

You're absolutely right that it isn't at all unusual for a snake to refuse to eat while undergoing antibiotics treatment.

If you do have to tube feed again, you might see if you can get your hands on some Oxbow Critical Care/Carnivore. This was a standard emergency feeding solution we used for birds of prey, snakes, lizards, any pure carnivores and many omnivores when I worked in exotics practices and rescue. It's good stuff and your vet may well have it on hand. If not you can get it on Amazon.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated. I'm just so happy he hasn't been diagnosed with one of the fatal viral disorders; there's real hope that he can get past this and do just fine with you.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

Thanks
    He's really so gorgeous! Now to just get that little stinker back to healthy & eating again! on the tube-feed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    ... It bothered me that your vet was so focused on a possible IBD diagnosis.........
    You're absolutely right that it isn't at all unusual for a snake to refuse to eat while undergoing antibiotics treatment....
    Same here, that made no sense to me unless there was more (from the vet) that wasn't shared?

I'm not sure that anything else (besides IBD) was tested for, though? For sure, antibiotic treatments will put a snake off eating for a while.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    He's just beautiful and I am sorry for both of you that he has been having a rough go of it. I'm SO relieved that the tests came back negative. It bothered me that your vet was so focused on a possible IBD diagnosis, but didn't want to confuse things too much with posting here.

You're absolutely right that it isn't at all unusual for a snake to refuse to eat while undergoing antibiotics treatment.

If you do have to tube feed again, you might see if you can get your hands on some Oxbow Critical Care/Carnivore. This was a standard emergency feeding solution we used for birds of prey, snakes, lizards, any pure carnivores and many omnivores when I worked in exotics practices and rescue. It's good stuff and your vet may well have it on hand. If not you can get it on Amazon.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated. I'm just so happy he hasn't been diagnosed with one of the fatal viral disorders; there's real hope that he can get past this and do just fine with you.
    Thank you- and yeah, that's actually the stuff I use/used, I'm glad that people recommend it

He's on the antibiotics for another 4 weeks or so. I'm hoping all goes well from here and he picks up an appetite after that

Thanks

Same here, that made no sense to me unless there was more (from the vet) that wasn't shared?

I'm not sure that anything else (besides IBD) was tested for, though? For sure, antibiotic treatments will put a snake off eating for a while.
    I'll be finding out more from the vet during his appointment next week. I definitely have a lot of questions

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Id complete the treatment before feeding again if he’s underweight but not dangerously low as antibiotics will kill a infection it will also destroy the helpful bacteria that live in the snake gi tract. Need to keep it as stress free as possible to help it’s immune system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jamiekerk For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (09-15-2021),bcr229 (09-15-2021),Bogertophis (03-11-2022)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast