Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,934

2 members and 2,932 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

The strangest thing happened! PLEASE HELP!

Hi! I hope everyone is doing well! Last night the strangest thing happened with my ball pythons...she pooped and then not long after that she farted so loud it could have competed with my dad's
    Her whole body was thrashing and her mouth was open and she kept farting for a while. Towards the end of her farting she kind of spat up a little glob of clear stringy thick saliva...it was very small but had me worried. Now, she had been hanging out near her water bowl so maybe it was water mixed with the intense thrashing of her body? I took a q tip and much to her frustration I used it to check the inside of her mouth and found it was clear and her breathing is clear too. This morning I checked again and the sides of her mouth were fine and she had clear breathing as well but I found this on the side of the cage...it was the slimmest smallest streak of something and was wondering if It was a string of wiped saliva (I found a few more of these tiny streaks and I will try to post a picture) is it saliva or something else (it doesn't come off by the way not even when I use my fingernails) let me now what you guys think and I'll attempt to post a picture. [IMG]FullSizeRender.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks

Re: The strangest thing happened! PLEASE HELP!

Sorry guys I tried to post the picture but couldn't get it to work, hopefully with my brief description you can get an idea of what I'm saying
    Last edited by Claire&snek; 09-08-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks

I can't help with your issue, and I'm sure you'll get many good responses from it.

But, a tip on the pictures... if you use the Tapatalk app, that seems to be the easiest way to upload photos. Using your computer, attaching photos require you to host the photo somewhere and link to it. Versus... Tapatalk, where you just upload within the app on your phone.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    She might have the beginning of an RI- streaks of mucus can possibly indicate that, & snakes cannot really cough up stuff, which could explain some of her gyrations, along with the gas-attack, of course. I'd keep a close watch & listen (for excess mucus, bubbles in her mouth, more "streaks" left? or sounds of crackling, whistling etc.).

It's been years since I've kept any BPs, & I honestly don't remember them being so loud with gas, but so many such reports here- I have to speculate that the reason they can be so loud is that they have a much wider body to make "sound" with. Too bad they're not more musically-inclined.* Stop feeding her beans, for heaven's sake!

*My slender rat snakes are apparently "flutes" compared to your BPs that represent the "bass drums"? LOL
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-08-2021 at 11:24 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (09-08-2021)

Thanks

Ok thanks! I'll look into Tapatalk...as for what else was said thanks so much! Yes, her farting would have been very alarming had I not already been aware of snake farts. So for now I'm not worried about an RI and after what happened last night anything that could have happened was most likely due to her ferocious farting but If I see anything else I'll be concerned for an RI...(also I took her to a highly recommended vet in our area awhile ago because I really suspected an RI...I'm talking about excess saliva, opened mouth breathing bubbles in mouth, loud sounds when breathing, not eating and it turns out it was caused by a bad shed in her nostril and it mimicked the RI simptoms...my vet told me not to get worried until I see bubbles being blown out of her nose or saliva dripping from her mouth and she said a lot of snake owners will see something and jump to the possibility of an RI...after that I haven't been so quick to react and typically I find Im just extra hyper and worrysome. Just wanted to throw that out there for others in case they are like me) Thanks again and I'll keep an eye on it!
    Last edited by Claire&snek; 09-08-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks
    RE gas attacks: It used to be that people would always "blame the dog"...

RE RI symptoms- I agree, it's just a "watch & wait" for now. Probably nothing.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Snakes do produce saliva but probably just something that came up when they farted as I’ve seen how they thrash and tense up it shocked me first time. Just keep a eye out for ri just in case but other than that probably nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks y'all! Will do! I will definitely keep an eye on it but my gut says she's fine...thanks again!

Thanks

*UPDATE* just got her out and she has no mucus, clear breathing, no excess saliva just a normal consistency of saliva. Also those "possible swipes of saliva on the glass" turns out to mostly likely be scratches in the glass. I know this because it doesn't wipe off with water and I can't scratch it off either...finally I got my metal lock I use to lock my snake's cage, and it only scratched the scratch deeper into the glass...So no need to worry over that anymore...thanks for everything you said (the fart comments were hilarious ) I really appreciate you all!
    Last edited by Claire&snek; 09-08-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks
    Glad she's okay! Never hurts to ask, that's why we're here, to share experience.