Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,032

2 members and 3,030 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Late delivery on feeders

FedEx was supposed to deliver on 9/3, delivered today 9/7. no dry ice left but rats were still pretty cool. not frozen solid anymore. are these garbage now?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    "Cool"? Yuck! Yes, I would say they're garbage, BUT first contact the source- they may want proof before replacing- I assume & HOPE this order is guaranteed to arrive "on ice"???
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Late delivery on feeders

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    "Cool"? Yuck! Yes, I would say they're garbage, BUT first contact the source- they may want proof before replacing- I assume & HOPE this order is guaranteed to arrive "on ice"???

it was from Big Cheese and they guarantee on ice. tracking said friday with no update saying there was going to be a delay so im thinking this is on FedEx. Emailed BC so i guess we'll see what they say

Thanks
    Yes, I would say it's on FEDEX too. I have no love for FEDEX, they misdeliver my pkgs all the time- they're correctly addressed, but they don't read what's in front of them.

Prey such as frozen rats need to stay frozen- otherwise there's a loss in quality- even if technically safe enough to feed, your snake can only eat one right now. When you re-freeze them, then try to thaw & feed them later, they turn to mush, may split apart when the snake grabs (bites or constricts) them, & may also be spoiled. Freezing doesn't kill the bacteria in the rodent's GI tract- it just keeps it from growing. All bets are off once they are thawed- that's why we don't re-freeze & re-offer rodents that a snake happens to reject. So IF you kept these & froze them, you'd not likely be getting your money's worth- your snake will be refusing them & they'll be gross, possibly spoiled. None of which is your fault. So I wouldn't accept them- no way. Insist they replace your order, & I don't think they'll argue, anyway. They can verify from FEDEX that the delivery was made today- a FAR cry from Friday.

Once you get the all-clear from BC to dispose of this order, you might check with any zoo nearby, in case they could feed them off right away to hungry predators in their care. Otherwise it depends where you live- if there's a woods/wild open area where buzzards or coyotes would consume them, that might be a good use for them. That's what I'd do, anyway. I used to live in the desert- the coyotes & such there would be happy-dancing over a "find" like this.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2021 at 07:43 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (09-08-2021),rzeppy (09-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, I would say it's on FEDEX too. I have no love for FEDEX, they misdeliver my pkgs all the time- they're correctly addressed, but they don't read what's in front of them.

Prey such as frozen rats need to stay frozen- otherwise there's a loss in quality- even if technically safe enough to feed, your snake can only eat one right now. When you re-freeze them, then try to thaw & feed them later, they turn to mush, may split apart when the snake grabs (bites or constricts) them, & may also be spoiled. Freezing doesn't kill the bacteria in the rodent's GI tract- it just keeps it from growing. All bets are off once they are thawed- that's why we don't re-freeze & re-offer rodents that a snake happens to reject. So IF you kept these & froze them, you'd not likely be getting your money's worth- your snake will be refusing them & they'll be gross, possibly spoiled. None of which is your fault. So I wouldn't accept them- no way. Insist they replace your order, & I don't think they'll argue, anyway. They can verify from FEDEX that the delivery was made today- a FAR cry from Friday.

Once you get the all-clear from BC to dispose of this order, you might check with any zoo nearby, in case they could feed them off right away to hungry predators in their care. Otherwise it depends where you live- if there's a woods/wild open area where buzzards or coyotes would consume them, that might be a good use for them. That's what I'd do, anyway. I used to live in the desert- the coyotes & such there would be happy-dancing over a "find" like this.

Kind of what i thought. they felt cold enough to not be spoiled but it was the freeze thaw refreeze that had me worried. Thanks

Thanks
    It's not like BC will want these shipped back to them or anything, but they might want a photo? I'd expect that just proof of when FEDEX delivered should be enough for them, though. And btw, I say that based on many years of buying all sorts of things that need shipped- I don't buy feeders though, since I raise my own. But since you're dealing with a big & well-respected company, I wouldn't expect you'll have any problem from BC.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2021 at 10:24 PM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    It's handy to have a temp gun available for your shipments too.
    That way you can possibly get video or photo reference of the temps as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2021)

Thanks
    talked to chad at BC this morning. He asked if the feeders were bloody. i said no but that had a bit of stank to em. he said he will re ship monday. im a fan of this company

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rzeppy For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-09-2021),Bogertophis (09-08-2021)

Thanks
    I was quite sure you wouldn't have a problem over this- it wasn't your fault, not one bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rzeppy View Post
    FedEx was supposed to deliver on 9/3, delivered today 9/7. no dry ice left but rats were still pretty cool. not frozen solid anymore. are these garbage now?
    Glad Big Cheese made it right, I had an order from Perfect Prey ship Feb 07, arrive Feb 15 no dry ice left but still frozen solid.

Again fedex was the delivery system.

Big Cheese and Perfect Prey are my go too's for rodents can't go wrong with either of them.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...t=perfect+prey

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast