Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,007

0 members and 3,007 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Late delivery on feeders

Another tip, I dont know how many animals you have but its a good idea to stock up and order during the cooler parts of the year. That way you avoid excessive heat in case they delay your package!
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    Another tip, I dont know how many animals you have but its a good idea to stock up and order during the cooler parts of the year. That way you avoid excessive heat in case they delay your package!
    Not only that, but as a long-time rodent breeder, I can tell you that suppliers are more likely to run short in the summer anyway. For 2 reasons: pet snakes EAT more in summer, plus rodents don't breed as well during the hottest time of the year.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    For 2 reasons: pet snakes EAT more in summer, plus rodents don't breed as well during the hottest time of the year.
    I didn’t know that rodents didn’t breed as much during summer. That’s some good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    I didn’t know that rodents didn’t breed as much during summer. That’s some good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Air conditioning is expensive & essential- some may cut corners, or perhaps suffer a power outage. Stuff happens. Rodents don't breed as well when it's too cold either- fall & spring are the "sweet spots" when they're most prolific. But since many pet snakes also eat less in the winter, there's fewer shortages by rodent suppliers at that time of year.

You can bet that the really large suppliers have adequate A/C & heat as appropriate for seasons, but large storms can knock out power, for example. Local pet stores often rely on local breeders, & that's where shortages also happen, because they're often raising rodents in a shed that has poor temperature control.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-09-2021 at 06:40 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Snow Balls (09-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Ironic, since I stocked up on rodents during this summer. Package was even a day late but there was still enough dry ice left to keep the rats solid.

Though it was more of just awkward timing since I needed more stock and decided to get a big amount to store all at once because of how crazy things have been ever since last year. Never know when supply chains are randomly going to get blocked off or run dry in this crazy period of time...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Ironic, since I stocked up on rodents during this summer. Package was even a day late but there was still enough dry ice left to keep the rats solid.

Though it was more of just awkward timing since I needed more stock and decided to get a big amount to store all at once because of how crazy things have been ever since last year. Never know when supply chains are randomly going to get blocked off or run dry in this crazy period of time...
    You're right- in our current situation with the pandemic, some ppl not working, & storm damages- there can be shortages of many kinds, so I hope everyone plans ahead for feeding & caring for their pets.

Every time I think longingly of just buying rodents (not raising my own) I chicken out because I have 19 snakes to feed & I love to be self-reliant.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-09-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12