Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

1 members and 2,881 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    And the blue eyed Lucy you speak of. I have heard that some breeders think that morph is a fluke. What are your opinions on that?

Thanks

Re: Crystal Ball Morph

Quote Originally Posted by JJpeep View Post
    And the blue eyed Lucy you speak of. I have heard that some breeders think that morph is a fluke. What are your opinions on that?
    I don't think the BEL is a fluke, but could see how it was possibly discovered with a fluke...

There's a couple of pairings that will potentially produce blue-eyed Lucy's, such as Lesser x Lesser, and Mojave x Mojave. There is a few more too, I believe.

The black eyed lucy is Fire x Fire. And I don't thinks it's limited to just Fire x Fire either, but I'm not sure what other pairings will make a black eyed lucy.

My BEL is a super lesser but stacked with possibles too so looking forward to seeing what eggs she produces in a few seasons time.
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Blue eyed leucistic are definitely not a fluke if you are meaning non-genetic. They have been produced regularly for many, many years reliably.

If you are meaning they were first produced on a fluke, that's how it is for most morphs and combos. Everything besides wild-type is a random mutation unless it's been induced somehow in a lab, which as far as I'm aware hasn't been done in ball pythons Once a morph randomly happens, that genetic code can be passed down to offspring.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks
    Ah I see. That makes alot of sense. They are all pretty snakes. Not sure I have seen a BEL or a black eyed either in person. I been to a few reptile expos recently. I am actually looking into going to the Tinley Park IL show in October. I went to the Shaumburg one for Father's Day. I kinda want to have something in mind to buy. Like I said, I was suggested a banana or banana/Enchi from someone on here. They are pretty. I'm interested in the Crystals and I also like the cinnamons. They are all so pretty. I am confused about what I want to go for. Male verses female as well. Not sure what I want to do. Thanks for answering my questions. It does help.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    Either sex does well for a first snake. The only thing to worry about is that the males can be prone to food strikes a little more than females.

If you are considering breeding, the crystal male is a great way to start. I did have an older female already, but having a strong gene male like that is very handy. Females also do take more time to raise to breeding size, so you may want to consider something like a cinnamon female to raise while considering which male to go with down the line.

Banana and coral glow are a little tricky because the gene is tied to the sex of the snake a bit weirdly. It's more common to find females now. But it is still probably a ratio of 75% males in the market because of it.
    Generally, a male banana will pass the banana gene to one sex. So a male maker will make male bananas 95% of the time. There's a lot more to it but it gets a bit confusing.

In the end though, it's what you like and want to look forward to! All of the genes your looking at are great. I have them all in my collection. Hahah.

I'm looking at breeding my female Mojave coral glow to my Enchi crystal male this year.... So this conversation really has me hoping I hatch a coral glow crystal now. @u@
    Last edited by Armiyana; 09-07-2021 at 03:04 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (09-07-2021)

Thanks
    Coral glow crystal. Wow. I have to look that up. Lol. Speaking of coral I was looking at them too. Lol. What is your favorite morph?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts

That's a difficult question!
    I think my favorite morphs are in the BEL complex. I'm also a sucker for BELs in general.
    Mojave and lesser on their own or in a BEL is great. They also can do great things with other genes like enchi, genetic stripes or clowns.
    Bamboos look really unique as well.

Coral glow / banana are beautiful on their own but really shine with genes like mojave or enchi. They will still brown out a bit over time, but with the right combo, not too badly.

Axanthics can be beautiful but also hit or miss. Some brown out quite a bit with age. It's definitely a hard to photograph morph and if I do get one, it would have to be in person.

My dreamsnake combo right now is probably an urban camo. I just picked up a pastel/cinnamon/pied possible sandblast to start off with. May be picking up a super cinny/pastel possible sandblast to pair her with as well.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 09-07-2021 at 05:18 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (09-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    That's a difficult question!
    I think my favorite morphs are in the BEL complex. I'm also a sucker for BELs in general.
    Mojave and lesser on their own or in a BEL is great. They also can do great things with other genes like enchi, genetic stripes or clowns.
    Bamboos look really unique as well.

Coral glow / banana are beautiful on their own but really shine with genes like mojave or enchi. They will still brown out a bit over time, but with the right combo, not too badly.

Axanthics can be beautiful but also hit or miss. Some brown out quite a bit with age. It's definitely a hard to photograph morph and if I do get one, it would have to be in person.

My dreamsnake combo right now is probably an urban camo. I just picked up a pastel/cinnamon/pied possible sandblast to start off with. May be picking up a super cinny/pastel possible sandblast to pair her with as well.

Thanks
    Wow!!! Sounds cool. I'll have to check those out as well. My Dad really likes the pied ones. I like the lighter colors. All of them are unique and beautiful. But I see myself checking out the. "buttery' colors, for lack of a better description haha. Like the crystal and cinnamon looking ones. Though, like I said I find them all cool I their own ways. I saw a lemon last pin stripe that I thought was really unique looking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Urban camo are one of my top wishlist snakes right now too

If I had to pick my favorite stand alone morph it would be Desert Ghost. I love how clean they look! If we are talking combos, it's one of the ones I'm shooting for this year, Banana Enchi Freeway. I cannot tell you how impatient I am for those clutches to hatch!
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast