Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 774

4 members and 770 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Food eagerness, as the season approaches...

I like to think I'm relatively well tuned in to the body language of my BP's, and during this week my enchi pin female felt like she was given me those feeding vibes despite having smashed a medium f/t rat last weekend.

So last night, as I was feeding my younger, weekly fed BP's I decided to thaw out another medium for my usually fortnightly fed enchi pin adult....

She smashed it. I mean, didn't give me time to get it in her enclosure, wasn't interested in waiting to strike, almost flew out of her enclosure whilst ambushing, made me jump, smashed it.

She's my best eater by far but I'd never seen her be this keen, especially a week after her last meal.

If she gives me the vibes again this week, and has a good toileting before next weekend, I may offer her again next weekend. I am conscious of over-feeding and clogging her up though.

But I wondered if anyone else's females get similar leading up to this time of year?
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

Thanks

Re: Food eagerness, as the season approaches...

I don’t know about them getting more food aggressive but 90% of mine readily eat weekly towards the beginning of breeding season. Compared to the spring when none seem to be interested in food. I also tend to feed heavily leading up to breeding season since I don’t feed big meals when they’re breeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Bleh (09-05-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    I don’t know about them getting more food aggressive but 90% of mine readily eat weekly towards the beginning of breeding season....
    Yeah, I offered her weekly last season. This was her first time pairing, and my first time breeding. But I don't recall her being as keen as she was last night - she caught me by surprise.

She usually let's me get the prey in with her so she can line herself up and strike, but yesterday I could see she was primed as soon as I walked in the room.

I've seen her keen before, but this level of eagerness was a new experience for me with her.

I don't mind at all though. I'm happiest when they eat, but aren't we all?
    Last edited by Bleh; 09-05-2021 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks
    I have 2 females like that. But only one of them is as bad as you said and I’m hesitant to pair her because of the possibility of injuring my male. But the the other one has been acting slightly more food oriented this season. Not sure why. One idea, what size is she? If she’s smaller she might want more material to build the eggs while larger ones may already have most of the mass. This is just a theory though. I would love to know how pairing her goes and how this turns out!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakes n’ eggs View Post
    I have 2 females like that. But only one of them is as bad as you said and I’m hesitant to pair her because of the possibility of injuring my male.
    I wouldn't worry about your male getting injured. If he's big enough to be paired, he's big enough to look after himself

Also, if the female isn't keen, she'll usually just avoid the male.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakes n’ eggs View Post
    One idea, what size is she? ....
    I would love to know how pairing her goes and how this turns out!
    She's just under the 2,000g mark at last weigh in which was about 5 weeks ago. Bigger than she was at this time last year, too so has comfortably regained what she lost from laying the last clutch.

Looks like I've already managed one lock with her and there could be another right now as I type this, but I can't see clearly to be certain. They're under under tree bark and I can't see their tail ends! But she's left her scenting marks in her enclosure and they're both together, so fingers crossed!

I'll leave them together until Thursday / Friday and then separate them to offer a feed two days after. She's keenly eating weekly right now, so will keep offering until she rejects two consecutive feeds then revert to fortnightly offerings and so on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I'm feeding breeding adults weekly this time of year, and most of my females that laid this year are acting like that, recovering from laying. They will start slowing for a couple months and then ramp up again when they start building again. Late building through laying they are fasting, and then after laying they eat light for a few meals.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks
    Got what looked like a good lock yesterday. Haven't taken the male out and put him back in his own enclosure ready to offer a feed this weekend.

But just now, my female was looking 'keen'. I thought she's surely not looking for food, she's only just smashed a good sized medium on Saturday. Opened her enclosure and WHAM, she came flying out for the first heat signature she could sense (my hand).

I'm taking this as clear evidence of food eagerness during the season

NOTE: I still took her out, and she soon calmed once she realised there was no food!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bleh For This Useful Post:

Snow Balls (09-29-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    Got what looked like a good lock yesterday. Haven't taken the male out and put him back in his own enclosure ready to offer a feed this weekend.

But just now, my female was looking 'keen'. I thought she's surely not looking for food, she's only just smashed a good sized medium on Saturday. Opened her enclosure and WHAM, she came flying out for the first heat signature she could sense (my hand).

I'm taking this as clear evidence of food eagerness during the season

NOTE: I still took her out, and she soon calmed once she realised there was no food!
    Any pics of the lock??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    Any pics of the lock??
    Not this one, it was in an awkward area to get a decent viewing of as it was let alone a picture without disturbing them. It certainly looked stronger than their last (this was their second lock) which you can see on Insta-Scam (instagram). Hopefully the link below works OK for you;

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT1S1iQM...dium=copy_link

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    Not this one, it was in an awkward area to get a decent viewing of as it was let alone a picture without disturbing them. It certainly looked stronger than their last (this was their second lock) which you can see on Insta-Scam (instagram). Hopefully the link below works OK for you;

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT1S1iQM...dium=copy_link
    Insta-scam made me chuckle looks good! I shot you a follow as well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast